"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 04-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Snapper - need variations

I went fishing not long ago and we caught lots and lots of snapper! It's all in my fridge, and I need to start eating it. It's just two of us here and we brought back 20 pretty big fish, I'm telling you, I was up all night filet-ing fish... Anyway, I'll need ideas on how to vary the taste, because I can't handle eating the same thing over and over! Even though snapper is delicious.

We also caught a big bluefish. I'm told people up north eat it. Key West people tend to be picky since there is so much available You should have seen all the good catches they were throwing back in the water! Anyway, I have no idea what to do with it. I'm told it's very oily.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Master Chef

Bluefish is WONDERFUL eating - & very good for you. It's one of the top Omega-3 fish. Unfortunately, like other dark-meat fish like mackerel, it needs to be as fresh as possible to be at its best. Dark-fleshed fish have a MUCH shorter shelf life than white-fleshed varieties.

I don't find Bluefish "oily", but it is a dark-meat fish, so has more "flavor" than white-fleshed varieties.

My favorite way to serve it is Greek style. I bake or broil the filets covered with a layer of sliced red onions, tomatoes, oregano, feta cheese, & lemon juice.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Is your fish in the fridge or the freezer? If it is in the fridge it is not going to last but a couple of days unless it is stored wrapped in an ice bucket and the water is changed daily.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
My favorite way to serve it is Greek style. I bake or broil the filets covered with a layer of sliced red onions, tomatoes, oregano, feta cheese, & lemon juice.
Breezy, that sounds delicious!

I've never cooked in a banana leaf, but this caught my attention:

Snapper Steamed in Coconut Milk and Baked In Banana Leaf

1 Whole snapper
1 Banana leaf
2 tb Coconut milk
1 Piece ginger
2 Cloves garlic
12 Stems of coriander

Stuff the cavity of the fish with the aromatics and season. Place on a piece of banana leaf and pour the milk over the fish. Make a tight parcel and steam for around 10 minutes. Serve with rice plantain and spinach curry.

Seviche

The acid in the lemon juice will "cook" the fish. It can be served as a dip with tortilla chips or spooned into sorbet glasses and served as a first course.

1 pound red snapper, diced
3/4 cup lemon juice
3 scallions, finely diced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon minced cilantro
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1 avocado, peeled and chopped

Place fish in a glass dish with lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Turn once or twice.

Three to four hours before serving, add scallions, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro, olive oil and wine to the marinating fish. Chill well. Just before serving, fold in avocado.

Fish Tacos with Lime juice, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, mexican cheese.

Papillote

Bouillabaisse

Here's a bunch of ideas:

http://www.justseafoodrecipes.com/inxsna.html
Old 04-19-2006, 08:21 PM   #5
Senior Cook

ChefJimmy- Doh, I meant freezer!

Thanks for the ideas, I'm very interested in trying the bluefish now... we catch so many of those too, but they usually get thrown back in the water - what a waste!

I have tried the Ceviche, or rather I made it but forgot I had plans for dinner so the in-laws ate it in my place;o) I should ask how it was. I've done the banana leaf thing before, it's actually very good thanks for reminding me, I will try it again. I'll just have to ask my father-in-law if I can steal a leaf from his banana tree ;o)

Tags
None