Snip's Tangy Tuna Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
This makes a lovely light supper dish or lunch.

2 cans of tuna chunks drained
1 large tomato chopped
1 small onion finely diced
3/4 of cup of mayonnaise
1 tbsp of light brown sugar
2 tbsps of white grape vinegar
2 chopped pickled jalapeno's
salt and cracked black pepper to taste

Mix all of the above ingredients well and serve with toasted baguettes and crisp lettuce.

I especially like the jalapeno part...
Do you think it's possible to avoid putting the sugar in, Odette? I can't stand mixing sweet and savory tastes, I'm a barbarian, I know it.

Ciao
Luca

You can leave out the sugar but then I would suggest you use lemon juice instead of vinegar or use only half the amount of vinegar.
I just like the tang that you get from vinegar.
You could also use balsamic vinegar but it turns the salad a weird colour.
The sugar doesn't actually make it sweet, just balances out the flavour.

How is your tuna packed, water or oil? I hate tuna in water, but oil packed is getting harder to find here.:(

And me having made tunafish for lunch yesterday...
It won't be hard to jazz it up with the missing ingredients from this recipe though.

And me having made tunafish for lunch yesterday...
It won't be hard to jazz it up with the missing ingredients from this recipe though.

I think there may actually be a compliment somewhere in this post :LOL:
Thanks Pac :)
Think you will like this one, I've kinda learned a bit about your taste since joining DC.

I think there may actually be a compliment somewhere in this post :LOL:
Thanks Pac :)
Think you will like this one, I've kinda learned a bit about your taste since joining DC.

Compliment?! I was letting you know that you should have posted this yesterday morning! :LOL:

I'm glad now I didn't add those capers yesterday.
What would be a good sub for grape vinegar, or is that what I call wine vinegar?

Compliment?! I was letting you know that you should have posted this yesterday morning! :LOL:

I'm glad now I didn't add those capers yesterday.
What would be a good sub for grape vinegar, or is that what I call wine vinegar?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'll try harder to keep up with your cooking schedule!

Wine vinegar is fine. Just don't use spirit vinegar (that fake junk) :LOL:

White natural (regular) vinegar is usually made from grapes. This would be what we call grape vinegar.

I use this...

Last edited:

Thanks! :)

You can leave out the sugar but then I would suggest you use lemon juice instead of vinegar or use only half the amount of vinegar.

Ok, I'll try it with sugar, I'm following your advice. :yum:

Ciao
Luca

How is your tuna packed, water or oil? I hate tuna in water, but oil packed is getting harder to find here.:(
If you have a Cost Plus World Market you can find oil packed tuna at a great price. They also hav oil packed smoked trout.
kadesma

Not if he gets white balsamic it's wonderful and we use it often.
kades

Looks good Snip,will give a try but no hot peppers for me my esophagus wont take the heat. but if I can find the jalapenos with no heat something new i gues i'll do that.
kades

Looks good Snip,will give a try but no hot peppers for me my esophagus wont take the heat. but if I can find the jalapenos with no heat something new i gues i'll do that.
kades

Thanks Kades :)
If you can't handle the heat just add a few drops of tabasco. I do this when I make it for my kids. It's more for flavour than heat.

Not if he gets white balsamic it's wonderful and we use it often.
kades

Since I'm a lucky boy, I currently live in the heartland of Balsamic Vinegar, aceto balsamico, and traditional balsamic vinegar, aceto balsamico tradizionale, which is made of the adjoining provinces of Modena and Reggio Emilia, in northern Italy.
In a couple of weeks I'm visiting an acetaia, where they make the real thing. :pig:

By the way, I prefer wine vinegar: every time I eat out I must ask for it, because here they put on your table only the balsamic one...

Since I'm a lucky boy, I currently live in the heartland of Balsamic Vinegar, aceto balsamico, and traditional balsamic vinegar, aceto balsamico tradizionale, which is made of the adjoining provinces of Modena and Reggio Emilia, in northern Italy.
In a couple of weeks I'm visiting an acetaia, where they make the real thing. :pig:

By the way, I prefer wine vinegar: every time I eat out I must ask for it, because here they put on your table only the balsamic one...

I love most vinegars but white balsamic tastes funny to me. I only use red balsamic and I always look to see if it was made in Modena.

Back
Top Bottom