Some HUGE diver scallops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
I should've taken a picture of it before I cooked it--maybe I'll do it today at work--but we got these huge diver scallops in the other day. They were labeled as U-10s but they were more like U-6s. Each scallop was like 3-4 oz each. Here's a picture of the already cooked scallop that I also posted in another thread. I'll try and post a pic of a raw scallop as well. It's the size of a petite filet mignon.

Those are lovely scallops....well under the foam. Just kidding, not a fan of foam.

Okay, here are the pics of the uncooked scallop. I used a peeler for size referrence:

Constance, bay and sea scallops have different flavors. To me, bay scallops don't taste anything how a scallop should taste. I love the brinyness and flavor of fresh sea scallops.

We're fortunate to get those hockey-puck-size lovelys here as well. The last time I bought them - FOUR came to a pound!!! And they're dry-pack as well, which is the only way I buy scallops these days. Don't need any chemicals added to & leaking out of my scallops, thank you very much - lol!

As far as sweetness & tenderness - they're just as wonderful (if not moreso because of the lack of chemical solution) as their smaller brethren.

My favorite ways of fixing them are to just briefly sear them in a cast-iron pan with a little bit of extra-virgin olive oil, & then either 1) serve them on a bed of baby greens graced with a bit of Asian Ginger Vinegarette or Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, or 2) serve them plated with a dollop of freshly-made basil pesto atop each one, with buttered Orzo pasta & a green salad on the side.

And they're dry-pack as well, which is the only way I buy scallops these days.

We get ours dry packed too, but we dry them out overnight in the refer before we use them if they're going to be pan seared. If not, they don't caramelize properly due to the moisture and the natural sugars. It can be done if we don't have any other scallops in house, but they need to be cooked on a pretty low heat or else they'll burn super quick.

I've had sea scallops, and I agree about the flavor. I've just never seen any that large, and wondered if the bigger ones got tougher.

Sure would love to have a plate of that!

Okay, here are the pics of the uncooked scallop. I used a peeler for size referrence:

Constance, bay and sea scallops have different flavors. To me, bay scallops don't taste anything how a scallop should taste. I love the brinyness and flavor of fresh sea scallops.

i adore scallops but they are over the moon in price here.

babe:wacko:

I've had sea scallops, and I agree about the flavor. I've just never seen any that large, and wondered if the bigger ones got tougher.

Sure would love to have a plate of that!

You know that that vegetable peeler came from his Barbie playhouse and those scallops are actually just bay scallops
img_657181_0_907eeb1b3cefb351a243b070a1be817c.gif

:angel::-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom