"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk but, why does it matter?

You can be the surf and she can be the turf, no big deal.
I was thinking the same, AB, let her be. But defeatists are generally not welcome on bulletin boards. And there may be kinks in her defenses...

"It's called caviar, and I'll have you know that it's Her Royal Princess's favorite food. There's 20 bucks worth of 'insect poop' on that cracker in your hand. Just try it, pleeez, for me?"

Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk but, why does it matter?

You can be the surf and she can be the turf, no big deal.

I like it simple, sole poached for a couple of minutes in an oven proof pan then topped with saltine cracker crumbs and dotted with butter, in the oven for a few minutes and dinner is served.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
I was thinking the same, AB, let her be. But defeatists are generally not welcome on bulletin boards. And there may be kinks in her defenses...

"It's called caviar, and I'll have you know that it's Her Royal Princess's favorite food. There's 20 bucks worth of 'insect poop' on that cracker in your hand. Just try it, pleeez, for me?"
I was wondering the same thing. I like some foods my husband doesn't like, and he likes some I don't like. You can serve two meats, or you could even save fish for when you go out to eat and you can each order what you want.

My nephew was in kind of a tough spot a few months ago. He was dating a girl who was so allergic to fish that she couldn't even kiss him for so many hours after he had eaten fish. The thing is, he lives (not a typo, lol) to fish, and he cooks a lot of great seafood dishes. If things had gotten more serious with them he would have had to make a decision whether that was something he could live without. For instance, he wouldn't even have been able to wash his fishing clothes with hers because it could cause problems.

So be glad your girlfriend just doesn't like fish. It could be worse!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
Head Chef

I have lots of great fish recipes - Here are two to check out:
Lemon Trout Almondine: (I add some spices to the flour):
Lemon Trout Almondine Recipe - Food.com - 45886
Spicy Grilled Salmon Steaks (can use fillets also):
Spicy Grilled Salmon Steaks with Black Butter Recipe at Epicurious.com
Old 03-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #14
Head Chef

If you would like to introduce someone into eating fish , I would start them out on a sweet tasting fish. Walleye.perch,catfish, all very mild tasting. Fried fish and chips.I just love walleye fried in potato flour,great taste!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusinefiend View Post
My girlfriend always says she doesn't like fish but I think she just hasn't had it the right way, any suggestions as to what dishes I can cook her containing fish that will blow her socks clean off :) many thanks
The Great British Fish Pie.
Make a load of buttery mashed pots. The poach any firm white fish fillets(cod or haddock) in milk.Strain and flake the the fish making sure you remove all the bones(its the bones that put most people off).
Use the strained liquid to make a thick parsley sauce. Place the fish ina baking dish cover with the sauce and let it set up a bit, cover with the mash and bake till golden.

A mix of smoked and non smoked fish is good, the addition of prawn, halved hard boiled eggs hits the spot.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Bouillabaisse with Lobster, King Shrimp and Cod

Many people are skimmish with the world of the sea ... I am basically Pescatarian, though I do eat roasts and chicken sometimes ... and I love bolognese above all.

A Bouillabaisse is gorgeous to look at too --- and very light. Need very fresh fish and shellfish to work with however. It can also be served on a bed of pasta and a light marinara. Lovely.

Interesting post.

Happy St. Patrick´s.
Margi.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
The Great British Fish Pie.
Make a load of buttery mashed pots. The poach any firm white fish fillets(cod or haddock) in milk.Strain and flake the the fish making sure you remove all the bones(its the bones that put most people off).
Use the strained liquid to make a thick parsley sauce. Place the fish ina baking dish cover with the sauce and let it set up a bit, cover with the mash and bake till golden.

A mix of smoked and non smoked fish is good, the addition of prawn, halved hard boiled eggs hits the spot.
This....^
Old 03-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
Master Chef

I would first try to find out what it is about fish she doesn't like. if it were taste, I'd ask if she was willing to try mild, sweet fish, maybe breaded and baked or fried. If it's texture, then I'd explaing that different fish have different textures, and even explain that different cooking techiniques result in different textures. Is she put off by the smell? If so, most of the fishy smell comes from fish oil and fat. Choose lean, smaller fish that is absolutley fresh. There is very little smell in fresh fish. And when cooking, make sure you remove any bllood line, and/or fat and fatty meat (usually darker in color and located in the belly and under the dorsal fin). If she objects to bones, choose fish that have large, easily removed bones, or purchase boneless fillets.

Cooking techniques and flavoring can greatly alter the taste of a fish presentation. Some examples: Cooking with wood smoke, planking on cedar, brining in a brine solution that includes brown sugar, brushing with soy or teryaki sauce, poaching in an herb-laced broth, cooking in foil with lemon and butter, dry rubs added to the flesh before baking, frying, or grilling. And there are many more options.

If she truly doesn't like fish, in any form, then definitely, present her with something she does enjoy, while you enjoy the fish. Make sides that compliment both proteins that you cook.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I would try crab cakes first, fish n chips are good too, most folks favor anything fried, stuffed clams, Make a real good tartar sauce for the first two, and the last serve with lots of lemon on the side.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Try Swai or Talapia - dip in seasoned flour (dry dill, s & p, maybe a sprinkle of onion or garlic powder) then in egg wash then in panko and fry. Maybe some lemon on the side. Placed on a big buch of mixed greens with some black olive slices and a drizzle of mild dressing and maybe serve with some really good garlic-cheese bread. If she likes spicy, fry dipped in blackened seasoning with a good rice side.

Tags
None