"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 352
Spaghetti alla vongole

Hello i never cooked clams before i am going to cook them in the water and wine for 8 minutes and any that dont open i discard is this correct. If they open a little is that good enough . Equally is 1kg with shells a good enough weight between 4.

Thank you

__________________

__________________
nicklord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pdswife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 20,319
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'd steam them instead of boiling them in the water and wine...
and then dip them in garlic butter. Oh so yummy!
__________________

__________________
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 672
Send a message via Yahoo to Chefellas
Hi nicklord1-I don't know what clams you're using, so you might want to consider finding out approximately how many clams are in a kilo and adjust your servings that way. What I dois this: I scrub the clams with a brush under running water to get rid of the snad on the shells. Then I leave them in water to I've added some flour. This gives the clams an internal cleansing. Next in a pot big enough to hold the clams, I'll heat some olive oil and saute chopped onion and garlic, Then I add white wine, boil for a minute, add the clams and cover the pot,shaking the pot every now and then.That way the clams steam with the onion, garlic and the wine. Then I check for clams that haven't opened, throw them away, and sprinkle the clams with chopped parsley and freshly ground black pepper. I have my spaghetti, boiled al dente and I mix it into the clams. Bon Appetit!!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Chefellas- Executive Chef
Chefellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
The vongole I used to eat in the Livorno area of Italy were about 2.5 to 3 cm in diameter and each portion of spaghetti con vongole had about 13 to 25 vongole.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 352
But generally any clams that arent open you throw away and it should take 5 minutes to cook them , i dont want to poision my guests . These will be super market clams so i guess i dont have to clean the sand from them as stated in my cook book.

I have never had clams how do they compare to scallops which i love
__________________
nicklord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklord1 View Post
But generally any clams that arent open you throw away and it should take 5 minutes to cook them , i dont want to poision my guests . These will be super market clams so i guess i dont have to clean the sand from them as stated in my cook book.

I have never had clams how do they compare to scallops which i love
To my taste, clams are rather bland, but they pick up the cooking flavors well. They're not sweet like scallops, which I also love
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklord1 View Post
Hello i never cooked clams before i am going to cook them in the water and wine for 8 minutes and any that dont open i discard is this correct. If they open a little is that good enough . Equally is 1kg with shells a good enough weight between 4.

Thank you
I would disgard any that don't open. Can't help with the measurements - but here's an example of a recipe where you can cook the pasta and clams together & cooking time. Hope that helps.

Toasted Spaghetti with Clams
__________________
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 352
Thank you for the recipe i think i am going ot have to give it a go , do i have to clean the clams or just cook it in the water and the wine as said. I am cooking this dish next week with a mussel soup a bit of seafood overload i know but i hope it will turn out well.

Next week i am doing scallops staint jacques with chicken breast in a leak , veal stock , wine sauce for the entre. Also baking a choclate and pear cake in the week . I am working from home for a bit so i thought i got all these cook books it will be ashame not to give these dishes ago. I will tell you all how they turned out.

Thank you
__________________
nicklord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklord1 View Post
Thank you for the recipe i think i am going ot have to give it a go , do i have to clean the clams or just cook it in the water and the wine as said. I am cooking this dish next week with a mussel soup a bit of seafood overload i know but i hope it will turn out well.

Next week i am doing scallops staint jacques with chicken breast in a leak , veal stock , wine sauce for the entre. Also baking a choclate and pear cake in the week . I am working from home for a bit so i thought i got all these cook books it will be ashame not to give these dishes ago. I will tell you all how they turned out.

Thank you
What time is dinner? It's been awhile, but I've steamed the clams disgarding any that are open - prior to cooking. I would clean the clams first - and re the recipe, perhaps you could do a combo of the broth and wine & herbs of choice. Let us know how it turns out.
__________________
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 352
Heres is the first step scrub the clams under cold running water to remove all sand and grit . Discard any that do no not close when tapped. Put the clams into a saucepan , add the wine cover and cok for 5m inutes , strain , reserving the liquid . Remove the clams from their shells , discard any that have not opened and leaving a few in their half shells for garnish.

Now will clams open when i am cleaning and close when i tapp them i kinda confused u discard those that do not close then those which do not open.
__________________

__________________
nicklord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.