"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
Head Chef

JSG,

A thought just occurred to me. I don't know what lemon rice tastes like exactly, so I'm just imagining it. But maybe you can tone down the acidity of the lemon rice and just add lemon zest to make it fragrant but not acidic in flavor. Then your lemony fish and lemon-scented rice could complement each other!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I don't have any suggestion for the meal yet, but I too just want to say WOW!!! How amazing that you love your lady that much still after 15years. I hope I can have that too!!!
Good luck with the meals!!!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:38 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I love the sound of that citrus topping (though I might choose only one - green olives OR capers). but I'm also thinking that if the halibut is super fresh, I almost hate to put something this flavorful on top of it. It might just overpower the delicious flavor of the fish (which is mighty expensive fish out here). I'm almost inclined to say go with the lemon rice and keep the fish plain and simple, with maybe a little lemon, butter and paprika. The panko also might be nice for the crunch.

I gotta say - one lucky girl.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the kind words and constructive ideas.
I'm off to go shopping in about an hour and I think this is the plan...

for starters, the egg & gorgonzola melts with pan fried zuc flowers (I've only got 6 with big enough flowers) stuffed with ricotta and herbs

entree is either broiled halibut with lemon rice and candied carrots or,
failing the halibut (the boat gets back in at noon) probably salmon cannelloni with endive salad.
Being on the west coast of BC, salmon halibut and prawns are our fish mainstays so they're usually easy to find. The fishery has been a bit rough this year though.

I'm still hunting down strawberries oddly enough, but I'll get 'em. No luck at all on peaches, but I'm still going to look.

I'll try and find a Sancerre and of course the late harvest for dessert.

Thanks again to everyone and I'll post up to let you all know how it went.

Cheers!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I used to make a chili orange basmati rice often useing orange zest, some chopped fresh chili and browning with some olive oil (rice included start it like a risotto) and then deglaze with some white wine and stock or water and cook. It was a crowd pleaser. As for the ahi, are you talking ahi tuna steak? if so i would not cook in the cedar but sear it blue rare tuna gets very very dry even served medium. But since you have some nice bright vegetable dishes I think a citrus steamed halibut with maybe a beurre blanc? Unless you want to watch calories then just forget the beurre blanc
Old 11-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Chili orange basmati....that sounds good.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. It went off pretty well - a couple hitches but all in all she enjoyed it, which was the point.

When I went to harvest the zuc flowers, they had shriveled already (2 days!) and the rest weren't mature enough yet. I switched to jalapeno poppers instead using the rest of the gorgonzola, some ricotta, and some herbs.

The egg/cracker/cheese worked pretty well. I made the eggs the way you would start an omelette, but poured it into a large, round-sided pan. From there I treated it like a crepe. When it was done, I sliced it into strips and laid it on the crackers, topped it with cheese and broiled it about 5 mins or so to melt the cheese. The crackers stayed crispy, which was my biggest concern.

The entree was salmon steaks (no fresh halibut) that I grilled on the bbq after basting with an OJ/honey sauce. The lemon rice and the carrots came out great as well.

The sauvignon blanc I picked up was a local (Okanagan) wine for lack of the Sancerre suggested. It was great - neither the citrus flavors nor the sweetness of the carrots affected the taste of the wine negatively. We opened it shortly before we ate, and it was good both on its own and with our meal.

For dessert, I picked up some chocolate wafers (like the dark part of an Oreo, but thinner and bigger around) and put one of the strawberry halves on each one with some of the butter/honey/Grand Marnier glaze and topped it with a dollop of whipped cream. I made the whipped cream a bit sweeter because of how sweet the rest was, but I went a bit too far. It was good, but it wasn't perfect. Oh well, next time...

We decided to save the dessert wine for another night, since we were both pretty tired and it IS a weeknight after all.....

Anyway, thanks to all of you for 'proofing' my ideas and for your great suggestions !

I look forward to taking the time to leisurely poke around the board for ideas now that my 'time crunch' is over.
See you around !

And yeah, she's pretty special alright. Hopefully all of you meet (or have already found) "The One".
Old 11-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleyard14 View Post
I used to make a chili orange basmati rice often useing orange zest, some chopped fresh chili and browning with some olive oil (rice included start it like a risotto) and then deglaze with some white wine and stock or water and cook. It was a crowd pleaser. As for the ahi, are you talking ahi tuna steak? if so i would not cook in the cedar but sear it blue rare tuna gets very very dry even served medium. But since you have some nice bright vegetable dishes I think a citrus steamed halibut with maybe a beurre blanc? Unless you want to watch calories then just forget the beurre blanc
What kind of chili? Jalapeno? Seranno? Anaheim?

Tags
None