Spiny Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flpaintmaster

Assistant Cook
I saw this on another public forum I follow, it refers to the lobster found in Florida or the Bahamas. I had never heard of this method of cooking a spiny lobster. Sounds like a good idea:

"We like to trim the underside of the tails so only the hard shell from the top side remains, like a U shaped trough with a tail. Pull the raw meat out, clean the vein, like mentioned above. place meat back in shell so it's able to set in the melting juices while broiling. Pre baste it or coat it with a thick mixture of butter, garlic, breadcrumbs on the topside of the raw meat, like a thick paste. The breadcrumbs will turn brown or even burn, but it's awesome. This method for us, keeps the meat tender, soft, tasty and never rubbery, like when you over boil them. You could do the same method in the grill I suppose. I've grilled them with success too, but in my opinion it is easier to over cook them on the grill. I am sure the master grill folks on here could do it justice. But using the shell as a dish to preserve the juices is key."

Tim Abbott

Sounds like it would work well to me, too. I'm not sure about the burning breadcrumbs part... but the rest sounds good.

I have been harvesting and cooking "Florida/Caribbean lobster for over 35 years. It is impossible to remove the raw tail meat of a fresh out of the water lobster without it shredding. The ones they are using have probably been iced down enough that the tail muscle has relaxed. In some recipes, calling for raw tail meat, I have found that it is best to freeze the tail(s) over night and then defrost them. The "vein" has already been removed during "tailing" using the antena.

Use shears to cut the membrane along the swimmerette line on the underside of the tail. The meat should just pop out of the shell.
Craig

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom