"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Please feel free to send any lobster my way, Addie! Would love to stand in for you and consume your share!
I sent two lobsters to my girlfriend in Atlanta. It was a surprise for her. When she opened the box, she almost fainted. She let out a scream that was heard throughout her whole building. Some of her neighbors came running to find out what happened.

BTW, one time my husband brought home 16 lobsters for us. I put the in the bottom crisper and forgot about them. They began to smell when they died. The neighbors wanted to tar and feather me. I used to give them away all the time.

When I was a kid, during the war, after a storm we would go down to the beach and pick up the lobsters and bring them home. Meat was rationed, so sea food filled in. We also would dig up clams and other sea goodies. Today I will only eat chowder and fried clams. The rest you can keep.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #22
Half Baked
 
4meandthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Living on the coast, $4.99 a pound. Lobsters are even cheaper. $3.99 - $$2.99 a pound. But I have had a lifetime of lobster. Won't eat it anymore.
I have been to Northern Maine (Van Buren) a few times to visit my wifes relatives and they got a lobster so big I couldn't eat it again for a year.
The claws were as big as my hands. I got the best of him though!
__________________

__________________
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I have been to Northern Maine (Van Buren) a few times to visit my wifes relatives and they got a lobster so big I couldn't eat it again for a year.
The claws were as big as my hands. I got the best of him though!
Some lobsters can feed a whole family for one meal.

When I was first married to my second husband, one night at two a.m. I hear the door open. He had just come home from a fishing trip. We had a long hall that the rooms came off of. I went to greet him, but he told me to stay where I was. He went back out the door and brought in the HUGE lobster. He put it on the floor. The claws were not plugged. The lobster started down the hall towards me. You could hear the noise of him clomping towards me. I ran out the back door screaming. The neighbors called the police. They thought it was funny. Hubby put the lobster in the tub which he climb out of immediately. It was a male lobster. We ended up giving the two officers the dang thing. The men at the police station had quite a feast.

Now I can drop a live lobster into a boiling pot of water with the best of them. I can even put a knife into it when it is still alive. But that one had to weigh at least 30 pounds or more. And with the claws unplugged, I was not going any where near it. My husband did plug the claws before he gave it to the officers.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #24
Half Baked
 
4meandthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Some lobsters can feed a whole family for one meal.

When I was first married to my second husband, one night at two a.m. I hear the door open. He had just come home from a fishing trip. We had a long hall that the rooms came off of. I went to greet him, but he told me to stay where I was. He went back out the door and brought in the HUGE lobster. He put it on the floor. The claws were not plugged. The lobster started down the hall towards me. You could hear the noise of him clomping towards me. I ran out the back door screaming. The neighbors called the police. They thought it was funny. Hubby put the lobster in the tub which he climb out of immediately. It was a male lobster. We ended up giving the two officers the dang thing. The men at the police station had quite a feast.

Now I can drop a live lobster into a boiling pot of water with the best of them. I can even put a knife into it when it is still alive. But that one had to weigh at least 30 pounds or more. And with the claws unplugged, I was not going any where near it. My husband did plug the claws before he gave it to the officers.
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. I coud SO see myself doing that except the giving it away part.
__________________
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. I coud SO see myself doing that except the giving it away part.
We didn' have a pot big enough. We would have had to rip off the claws first and then the tail. And I prefer female lobsters. They have sweeter meat. That one with just the tail or claws alone could have fed a family of ten. And big male lobsters tend to be tough. When I buy them I always get female chicken lobsters.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.