"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Master Chef

Thanks everyone. I feel blessed to be able to enjoy the bounty that this land, and its water has to offer, and the great times sharing the experiences with my family and friends, including everyone on DC.

Oh, and hey little brother, you can come to my house anytime and share my fish. And I promise you, I'll have some hidden, in reserve, just in case.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I love smoked fish too!

Old 06-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I love smoked fish too!
If you can get here, I can smoke the fish.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 06-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Nice job, man!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

If you can get here, I can smoke the fish.

Oooh, we LOVE Michigan! AND smoked trout!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Those fillets look like they turned out perfect.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Those fillets look like they turned out perfect.
I often find commercially smoked fish too salty. My fish aren't truly smoked. They are grilled with smoke. I lay the fillet's out, and liberally salt the flesh side with Kosher Salt. I let that sit for thirty minutes. I use alder wood to provide the smoke. I don't soak it, but rather place it on the divided bed of charcoal just before placing the fish between the beds. It provides instant and intense smoke. The fish is rinsed of the salt, and put into this great fish rack that my son got me one year for Christmas. Teh rack is placed between the charcoal beds, the grill is covered, with all vents in the half open position. The bbq runs for 30 minutes, without touching the fish, as there is no need to turn them. The skin protects the bottom from overcooking and keeps the fish juicy and tender, yet cooked through. The fish picks up the smoky flavor as if its been smoking for hours. I cooked chicken breasts and a thigh directly over the charcoal beds, turning them after about eight minutes. The wood protects the chicken from the direct heat. At that time, I took the fish off, and cooked the chicken for about eight minutes more.

Both proteins came out so juicy, tender, and well flavored. I will be cooking this meal again, soon as I catch some more fish. I highly recommenced you try this technique, or if you have a gas grill, adjust accordingly by using a smoke box and lighting only two burners.

Hope you get the chance to try this. It will work with any large fillet. But if you get the chance to do it with Rainbows, or steelhead, well, let's just say that trout has always been my favorite fish.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 06-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

i've never seen alder wood chips or chunks for sale here in the east. is it a tree indiginous to the northern midwest.

i've often seen alder smoked foods, but have never seen the wood itself.

hickory, apple, cherry, oak, and oddly enough mesquite are what are regularly available here.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i've never seen alder wood chips or chunks for sale here in the east. is it a tree indiginous to the northern midwest.

i've often seen alder smoked foods, but have never seen the wood itself.

hickory, apple, cherry, oak, and oddly enough mesquite are what are regularly available here.
DH, who's somewhat of a tree guy, says we don't have alders here in Mid-America. When I looked it up, I see they're primarily out West. I have alder chips for my little stovetop smoker, nice flavor.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Feast your eyes on this. We feasted our stomachs.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Oh yum .. looks fantastic !!!

Tags
recipe

Steelhead, Smoked Take one 18 inch steelhead, caught, cleaned, and filleted this morning, and place it into the fridge. 2 hours before dinner, liberally salt the fillets on both sides with kosher salt, and let sit for 30 minutes. Prepare the rest of the menu. Time to cook. Fire up the Webber with a divided bed of coals. Select alder sticks of just the right size. Get the sides cooking (chicken for DW and friend), and veggies. 20 minutes to go. Rinse off the fillets. Place wood on the fire. Lay on the chicken pieces and let cook for 7 minutes with the grill covered. Turn the chicken and move to the sides, but not directly above the charcoal. Place the fish skin-side down in the middle of the grill, enough for self, and husband of afore mentioned friend. Cover and cook for ten minutes. Take pictures for my new cookbook (still under way). Remove the fish and chicken to a platter, and organize artistically. Place bright green, steamed veggies around the platter sides. put it on the table. Bless the food and eat. That's what will be going on at my house tonight.:mrgreen: Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews