"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
DH, who's somewhat of a tree guy, says we don't have alders here in Mid-America. When I looked it up, I see they're primarily out West. I have alder chips for my little stovetop smoker, nice flavor.
thanks, dawg.. i'm eager to try it.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
thanks, dawg.. i'm eager to try it.
In my neck of the woods (Great Lakes Region) we have these trees we call tag alders. That's what they've been called all of my life. If that's a local colloquialism, I can't say. I just know that it sure produces a great flavored smoke.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #23
Master Chef

Did a bit of research. It seems that alders, including the tag alder, are members of the birch shrub family. I have used white birch branches for smoking turkeys before, and it to creates a very flavorful smoke, without being bitter. So, if you have birch available to you (I gather dead birch-wood from a nearby, small forest area), it will work for you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 06-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Washington state has alders all over the land.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
OUTSTANDING! I love smoked fish but I'm the only one in the house that eats fish so I don't get it very often.

Same here. I m not even allowed to put fish on the grill under penalty of ... well you know the penalty
Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Same here. I m not even allowed to put fish on the grill under penalty of ... well you know the penalty
I think you guys need to stand up for your rights. I'm sure your partners expect to be able to eat what they want, whether you like it or not. If that's the case, then it has to be a two-way street. Now I'm not saying you should wave it under their noses, but they have to be reasonable. Well, maybe they don't, but you should be able to cook what you want, and make them something else for those times. That's fair.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
Master Chef

I bet you know that already, sometimes it is easier to forgo a piece of fish rather than disturb the family peace.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #28
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I bet you know that already, sometimes it is easier to forgo a piece of fish rather than disturb the family peace.

Ditto! Much easier. If Momma's not happy ain't nobody happy.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:

Aren't you a smart man!?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:

DW and I coompromise. She controls the TV, and me (or so she thinks), and I control the kitchen and all cooking. She knows that I do my absolute best to try and give her tasty, and tender meals that she can enjoy. Therefore, she responds by letting me eat what I want, sometimes with negative comments from her though.

Tags
recipe

Steelhead, Smoked Take one 18 inch steelhead, caught, cleaned, and filleted this morning, and place it into the fridge. 2 hours before dinner, liberally salt the fillets on both sides with kosher salt, and let sit for 30 minutes. Prepare the rest of the menu. Time to cook. Fire up the Webber with a divided bed of coals. Select alder sticks of just the right size. Get the sides cooking (chicken for DW and friend), and veggies. 20 minutes to go. Rinse off the fillets. Place wood on the fire. Lay on the chicken pieces and let cook for 7 minutes with the grill covered. Turn the chicken and move to the sides, but not directly above the charcoal. Place the fish skin-side down in the middle of the grill, enough for self, and husband of afore mentioned friend. Cover and cook for ten minutes. Take pictures for my new cookbook (still under way). Remove the fish and chicken to a platter, and organize artistically. Place bright green, steamed veggies around the platter sides. put it on the table. Bless the food and eat. That's what will be going on at my house tonight.:mrgreen: Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews