Steelhead, Smoked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH, who's somewhat of a tree guy, says we don't have alders here in Mid-America. When I looked it up, I see they're primarily out West. I have alder chips for my little stovetop smoker, nice flavor.

thanks, dawg.. i'm eager to try it.

thanks, dawg.. i'm eager to try it.

In my neck of the woods (Great Lakes Region) we have these trees we call tag alders. That's what they've been called all of my life. If that's a local colloquialism, I can't say. I just know that it sure produces a great flavored smoke.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Did a bit of research. It seems that alders, including the tag alder, are members of the birch shrub family. I have used white birch branches for smoking turkeys before, and it to creates a very flavorful smoke, without being bitter. So, if you have birch available to you (I gather dead birch-wood from a nearby, small forest area), it will work for you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Same here. I m not even allowed to put fish on the grill under penalty of ... well you know the penalty ;) :LOL:

I think you guys need to stand up for your rights. I'm sure your partners expect to be able to eat what they want, whether you like it or not. If that's the case, then it has to be a two-way street. Now I'm not saying you should wave it under their noses, but they have to be reasonable. Well, maybe they don't, but you should be able to cook what you want, and make them something else for those times. That's fair.

I bet you know that already, sometimes it is easier to forgo a piece of fish rather than disturb the family peace.;)

Ditto! Much easier. If Momma's not happy ain't nobody happy.

DW and I coompromise. She controls the TV, and me (or so she thinks), and I control the kitchen and all cooking. She knows that I do my absolute best to try and give her tasty, and tender meals that she can enjoy. Therefore, she responds by letting me eat what I want, sometimes with negative comments from her though.:LOL:

Ditto! Much easier. If Momma's not happy ain't nobody happy.

I bet you know that already, sometimes it is easier to forgo a piece of fish rather than disturb the family peace.;)

i wish i could've been able to learn just that in my life. it's been my downfall, my cross to bear.

having a much older brother and 4 constantly irritated teenage older sisters, my dad drummed it into my head to be independent and not listen to amyone.

i think he thought he was doing me a favour, teaching me to be a man but it's been just as much a curse.

thank god i have a sense of humour and can laugh at myself and know when i'm wrong.

man, i need some smoked fish after that confession.

pretty please?

When you have a large family, you can't run a diner where everyone can have what they want. What when on the table is what they ate. As they got older and left home, it became easier to make the foods I liked and they didn't. Can you imagine making six different meals every night? :angel:

Back
Top Bottom