Storing canned tuna in refrigerator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
Husband like tuna fish COLD and sometimes I forget to make it up to put in the refridge ahead atime to get cold. what is everyone's opinion of storing can tuna in refridge instead of pantry? thanks

.......my son does that too - :ohmy: I can't imagine that it would hurt anything - unless that's what has made him so cranky sometimes! :rolleyes:

I buy the huge cans...divide it up and freeze it. Then when I want some just microwave until it's defrosted which is about a minute. It's always cold that way. I didnt' even think of freezing tuna until last year when I read it somewhere. (this is just the tuna...not tuna with the mayo). I thought this might help someone who doesn't use the whole can at a time.

At work, we keep the canned tuna in the walk-in fridge all the time. That way, when we mix it with the mayo we also keep in there, we are sure it's at 40 degrees when it goes out into the deli station.

Make sure the can is clean before you put it into the fridge, and then wipe the top before you use the can opener. If it's got condensation on it, the moisture can rust your opener.

The nursing home where I work keeps their canned tuna in the walk-in. I'm not sure why. I'm just happy that they stopped storing the fresh tomatoes in there, too. I've been fussing about it for several weeks. They finally started keeping them in the pantry about a week ago. :)

Chaunte said:
Just as long as the can is not opened.
If it's opened, it can become poisonous.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Once you open the can, you should place it into a tupperware container and use it up within a day or two.

(refrigerate it of course once it's opened)

A+ idea - definitely a yes!!!

definitely a YES!!!

i love my tuna cold & have listened to people say you cant leave tuna cans in the fridge for years & OMG does it annoy me. lol

for the last 10yrs I have kept my tuna in the fridge & nothing bad has ever come from it, i haven't gotten sick or anything.

the only one thing that I MUST SAY would be NOT to leave open tuna cans in the fridge as the aluminum slowly seeps out of the can into the tuna!!!!!! :blink:

Husband like tuna fish COLD and sometimes I forget to make it up to put in the refridge ahead atime to get cold. what is everyone's opinion of storing can tuna in refridge instead of pantry? thanks

Canned Tuna always goes from grocery bag to fridge. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom