Suggestions for red snapper fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

naturalmovements

Assistant Cook
greetings! from a deep sea fishing trip, i have a few pounds of red snapper that i would like to prepare tomorrow, im new to cooking in general and ive never prepared fish...

never tasted red snapper before so i have no idea on flavor, prep, method etc. , if anyone has any advice, id like to listen and learn, thank you!

Snapper is even good raw! Its a heavier, oilier type of fish. I like it in ceviche myself (doused with lemon juice, the acid "cooks" the fish a bit) but if you wish to cook it, a light breading will suffice. I've done it with grated potato as the outside too. Since its heavy it stands up well to that.

Your fish is so fresh, you should really just do something light and simple to keep the fresh flavor. How about a light pan fry with some butter and garlic and sprinkle with some salt to finish?

greetings! from a deep sea fishing trip, i have a few pounds of red snapper that i would like to prepare tomorrow, im new to cooking in general and ive never prepared fish...

never tasted red snapper before so i have no idea on flavor, prep, method etc. , if anyone has any advice, id like to listen and learn, thank you!

Greetings from a Greek girl who loves plain cooking!

Red snapper I just love. But I grill it, always over fire. Simply slash the fish diagonally, brush olive oil over it, place down on the grill and - here it is.

Sprinkle chopped flat leaf parsley over it, and garnish with a fresh lemon cut in half. And that's it.

Red snapper is a highly desirable fish. In the shops it's expensive and in tavernas classed "A": 40 euros a pound (minimum)

Picture by a family member

Last edited:
Snapper is even good raw! Its a heavier, oilier type of fish. I like it in ceviche myself (doused with lemon juice, the acid "cooks" the fish a bit) but if you wish to cook it, a light breading will suffice. I've done it with grated potato as the outside too. Since its heavy it stands up well to that.

Your fish is so fresh, you should really just do something light and simple to keep the fresh flavor. How about a light pan fry with some butter and garlic and sprinkle with some salt to finish?

i am a huge fan of anything garlic! question, because its a saltwater fish, do i need to pay special attention to the amount/type of salt im using?

Greetings from a Greek girl who loves plain cooking!

Red snapper I just love. But I grill it, always over fire. Simply slash the fish diagonally, brush olive oil over it, place down on the grill and - here it is.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2 and weights %3.

Sprinkle chopped flat leaf parsley over it, and garnish with a fresh lemon cut in half.

And that's it.

Picture by a family member

i had it filleted, would that change anything?

naturalmovements, just salt to taste. I don't think the fact that it is a saltwater fish has any effect on its taste when cooked. Enjoy!

Poppi my wifes family are fishermen in Croatia same love of grilled fish as Greeks View attachment 8837

Fishermen everywhere have a rough time of it at sea. But what they bring back to cook up is beyond price. That grilled fish looks mouthwatering. Hope you washed it down with a good beer. :)

Not sure, but I may have quoted red snapper as being taverna price of "40 euros per pound". I meant per Kilo.

i love my red snapper pan seared and then topped with lemon, butter, herb,garlic sauce.Yum...

Fantastic dish Tom, when we were in the port of Barcelona we would walk up the Ramblas to buy our Seafood in the Market 21112008106.jpg

today is the day, and all suggestions sound supreme....

after much review and advice from a good friend, ive decided on red snapper en papilote with white wine, tyme, butter, scallots, tomatoes concasse, and a little salt n pepper, served with asparagus

my first time cooking fish, my first time eatting red snapper (that i caught from the gulf of mexico), should be very interesting.....

tomorrow i will post the results and hopefully a picture (if its photo-genic)

Back
Top Bottom