"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #41
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You're welcome Joel. Long before the internet, Community Cookbooks were a very big deal for the home cook. I still have dozens of them in my collection and I was a contributor for several of them. This is the one from the "Company Crab Bake", circa 1988.
Attachment 30497

I grabbed a bunch of those at a yard sale, still going through them.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #42
Head Chef

I made a surimi salad last week to take with me for lunch. Diced surimi, onion, red and yellow bell peppers and cukes, dressed with a bottled avocado-cilantro-yogurt dressing from Bolthouse. I ate it all week, and added to it when the supply got low. It was delicious! Fresh tasting with no fishy aftertaste. During the week, I added in hard cooked eggs at one point, then some nori, and at one point spiced it up a bit with a healthy teaspoon or so of shichimi togarashi. Perfect topping for crackers (Ritz, of course). I’ll bet it’d make a great sandwich too, but the nature of my job precludes sandwiches (sandwiches get soggy when premade and brown bagged, and it’s very difficult, and dangerous, to assemble them while driving!). Just finished making a new batch, and I added a bit of dried dill and some celery salt. Wonderful!

Old 07-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #43
Master Chef

Iíve posted this recipe before.
Boiled potatoes
Boiled carrots
Boiled eggs (hard boiled)
Canned peas
Surimi
All equal amounts
Mayo to bind all. If you like more mayo or like some ingredients more than others, do as you pleased.
Salt to taste.
All ingredients should be chopped finely, or even grated on large hole grader.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #44
Head Chef

At least one person who contributed to this thread explained that they ate surimi as a substitute for shellfish because they kept kosher. Anyone out there using surimi for the same reason, beware! I was shopping at Whole Foods yesterday (for my job, not for my kitchen), and asked the guy at the seafood counter if they carried it, expecting a snicker and a “no.” Surprisingly, they do carry it, but it’s NOT suitable for those who keep kosher, or those who have shellfish allergies. the ingredient list includes snow crab.not snow crab derivative or flavoring even, actual snow crab! It’s way down in the list, but it’s there. So before you purchase surimi or consume it, you might want to double check!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
At least one person who contributed to this thread explained that they ate surimi as a substitute for shellfish because they kept kosher. Anyone out there using surimi for the same reason, beware! I was shopping at Whole Foods yesterday (for my job, not for my kitchen), and asked the guy at the seafood counter if they carried it, expecting a snicker and a ďno.Ē Surprisingly, they do carry it, but itís NOT suitable for those who keep kosher, or those who have shellfish allergies. the ingredient list includes snow crab.not snow crab derivative or flavoring even, actual snow crab! Itís way down in the list, but itís there. So before you purchase surimi or consume it, you might want to double check!
Yes, I meant to mention that, a lot of so called crab imitation products (or shrimp for that matter) do contain some real crab meat, etc. I would not worry about kosher consumer as much, as we check for the reliable kosher supervision symbol, but people with allergies have to be careful and indeed have to check ingredients. Same with "non-dairy" products incidentally.

Thank you for that note.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #46
Master Chef

Accidentally found the thread about the salad recipe I posted above. Here is link to the pictures of the salad:

The Russian Olivier Salad
Old 07-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #47
Executive Chef

found a link

Yes, it is a sponsored post, right along all that we have been talking about. there is another link in it - I have not gone there yet, but suggesting that there are more recipes.

Check it out - might just be what you're looking for JJ.

we're hot on imitation crab

Tags
None