"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #1
Head Chef

Surimi as the star????

Iíve always eschewed surimi, aka imitation crab or krab. I donít really like or trust anything ďimitation,Ē even though Iím well aware that I eat or drink foods with imitation flavors and other ingredients all the time. But imitating crab just seemed really egregious, kind of a slap in the face to those mouth-watering crustaceans.

I was on one of my shopping jobs the other day, though, and the storeís little fresh sushi corner was offering up samples of seafood rolls. They were clearly made with surimi, but I was hungry andthe samples were free, so I tried one (okay, I tried three). It was delicious!

I googled ďrecipes specifically for surimiĒ and came up with the usual list of recipes that are for crab but substitute surimi in the interests of frugality. Iím not adverse to these recipes, especially since Iím trying very hard to be more frugal myself these days.

I was wondering, though, has any of you come across a recipe or recipes that are designed for surimi? Recipes that donít read ďcan substitute surimi,Ē but rather have surimi as the star ingredient, even recipes that specify ďdonít use real crab in this recipe?Ē

Please, I implore you, donít go out of your way to research this, unless itís tickled your curiosity bone. Although, if you do use surimi on occasion, Iíd love to hear how!

Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I unroll the krab "legs" and place on top of a sheet of nori, then I add in the avocado slivers, green onion, carrot, cucumber and roll up for my sushi-less rolls.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I unroll the krab "legs" and place on top of a sheet of nori, then I add in the avocado slivers, green onion, carrot, cucumber and roll up for my sushi-less rolls.
If you’re adding cooked and seasoned short grain rice, it’s sushi! Sushi’s about the rice, not the fish (or lack thereof)!

I’ll try this, it looks easy and inexpensive, and yummy. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I've seen krab rangoon recipes. Did you try using krab rather than surimi?
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
If youíre adding cooked and seasoned short grain rice, itís sushi! Sushiís about the rice, not the fish (or lack thereof)!
PF eats low carb, so she's removing the rice and eating the rest.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

It's been a while, but I've made a deviled crab salad with surimi. Add minced celery, minced red and green peppers, onion and garlic powders, fresh parsley, lemon juice, mayo and hot sauce to taste. Serve in a croissant as a sandwich or over spring greens.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Head Chef

Oh we used to get a crabstick bake in school, yes that was name I grew up with. It just cooked rice, surimi, boxed hollandaise sauce and fresh croutons and then baked until the croutons are golden. I loved it, I still would but I cant have lemon.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
If youíre adding cooked and seasoned short grain rice, itís sushi! Sushiís about the rice, not the fish (or lack thereof)!

Iíll try this, it looks easy and inexpensive, and yummy. Thanks!

I understand sushi means seasoned rice, I do not use it. Hence, sushi-less rolls.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I understand sushi means seasoned rice, I do not use it. Hence, sushi-less rolls.
Aha! I figured you knew, just double checking! Do you ever use rice paper instead of nori. I love nori, but Mark hates it!
Old 06-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Oh we used to get a crabstick bake in school, yes that was name I grew up with. It just cooked rice, surimi, boxed hollandaise sauce and fresh croutons and then baked until the croutons are golden. I loved it, I still would but I cant have lemon.
That sounds good! Think I’d use some other kind of dressing, though. Boxed hollaindaise sounds a bit unappetizing...

Tags
None