Sushi at home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef

Last edited:
Your sushi looks better than mine! The pics is pretty small so it's kinda hard to tell what everything is.

I see Ebi and what looks like Makerel. Is the makerel raw? Do you deep freeze it first or buy top grade fish for that?

I also see what looks like a spicy tuna roll maybe. Same questions as above.

I limit our homemade stuff to cooked so our variety is a little more challenging and non-traditional at times. I just don't trust the supermarkets that try and sell sushi-grade raw tuna or any fish for that matter.I go to an asian market for fresh fish but they don't have anything I would eat raw either.

What is the roll that looks like it has tobiko on the outside? Looks good too!

Last edited:
the center flower is fresh water perch (oboro)
mack is frozen from japan then marinated at home
i get sushi grade tuna in Bozeman MT , its flown in fresh everyday
tobiko is an inside-out califorina roll
and marinated tuna roll.

the center flower is fresh water perch (oboro)
mack is frozen from japan then marinated at home
i get sushi grade tuna in Bozeman MT , its flown in fresh everyday
tobiko is an inside-out califorina roll
and marinated tuna roll.

I love your presentation! Very, very well done!

How is your fresh water perch prepared to eliminate the possible parasites? Same question for your mackerel.

I use a small counter-top freezer to kill parasites at minus 20+ for 10 days. It's the only way I'll eat fresh water fish raw. I've never trusted marination to rid it of the parasites.

I steam the perch 1st , then mix in the rice and add beet powder for color, Red food color will do if beet powder is not available.

Salt the mackerel on both sides for 1/2 to 1 hr . let drain in a colander, wash with cold water and pat dry.
The mackerel is then marinated in a mixture of, 8oz rice vinegar , 1 tbsp mirin and 1 tsp salt. for 1 to 2 hours.

Princess,
The soup is Japanese somen noodles made with a clam broth stock and added to the stock is, sake , soy sauce and some sugar. garnished with mushrooms , shrimp and green onions.

Princess,
The soup is Japanese somen noodles made with a clam broth stock and added to the stock is, sake , soy sauce and some sugar. garnished with mushrooms , shrimp and green onions.

Arigato, S&P-chan! Except for the sake, that can go in my Bento lunch! Yum!

You live near Bozeman? I am in Missoula.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom