Sushi help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there's 2 kinds of small roe: tobiko (flying fish) and masago (smelt). both are kinda crunchy.
then there's ikura, or salmon roe. larger eggs in slime that pop more than crunch. imo, better used as trout or catfish bait.

y'all are the bomb. thanks so much for enticing my appetite in this direction to try new things. I got great info from a wonderful gentleman on the way to work today about sushi. he's no longer a novice and enjoys it as much as the rest of you here. he thumbs up, the scallop thing, the flying fish roe and told me bar none, I have to have a spider roll. whatever that is, he also adores eel. man oh man have I ever been living under a bridge all my life to have missed so much foodwise................

lefse, a spider roll is soft shell crab that's been battered in panko and deep fried, then chopped in half and rolled, usually with cucumber, in rice and nori. before it's sliced, the legs stick out of the ends a little, thus resembling a spider.

they are good, and another very safe choice as it is cooked. dw loves them, but i'm not a big fan of fried stuff in sushi. unnecessary fatty/starchy flavors mixed in with the cleanliness of fish and rice, imo.

Not all places have it but if you see Dynamite roll on the menu, order it. It is smelt roe, crab, lobster (I think) and a couple of other things. Then they top it with a spicy mayonnaise. The stuff almost tastes like the sauce they put over crab imperial.

So, have you eaten there yet...or is it tomorrow?

this started out my day (found it at a store called "Mix/Match/Old/New") and the best part was it was $4 not the $80 listed here so you can imagine what a good day this was for me. yes, one more butter dish bought and one more on the way from eBay. yeah!!!
it's snowin:( so I had to almost run, but this is what I just ate.
I gave the main man, the fella that always waits on me, my list.
I took notes from here and took that, with all the snow, was worried about the laptop so didn't take it. he stopped me at this and said next time, we can fill in the rest of the blanks. at least, that's what I 'think' he said, what an accent...

eel
scallop
yellow tail
flying fish roe
spider roll
dynomite roll
spicy tuna
white tuna
dragon roll

yes, I had to have some of it wrapped up to take for tomorrow which is fine. I really enjoyed everything, the scallop sort of did a texture number on me but I managed. the eel, very very good. the spider roll was good, but hard to eat, the dragon roll, looked like a dragon and very good. the dynomite roll, also very good. the yellow tail/white tuna/spicy tuna were good with me liking the spicy tuna most of those three. the flying fish roe, was uh, uh, uh, good/hysterical crunch/pop a tiny salty which I like, but not really sure if that'd be one I'd get again.

all in all, I think you all sent me in the right direction and I thank you very much for all of your input.

That is awesome LEFSElover. It sounds like you really branched out and tried some new things. Way to go!

I just wanted you to LOVE the eel!!!!!!! I hope you did. While I don't mind one of those flying fish roe pieces occasionally - I can't eat them all the time either! My son has to remind me that I've killed all those fish too! :( :LOL:

KE, the eel was the first one I ate. Honestly, it was very good, and as with any teriyaki sauce, I love that stuff, I could eat it alone. Good texture, not too weird, I was very proud of me.

I did go there for lunch today too. It was so much food for me that I opted out of the Cannery for dinner. Gotta keep the waist line. I just had their miso soup, what the heck is that stuff? An organic salad with wonderful sort of teriyaki light dressing on it, and a beef bowl of rice, great light veggies with green tea.

I plan on coming back and venturing out more, with more flavors and the rolls I couldn't get last week.

Y'all enjoy the rest of your week now..........

Proud of you! Glad you liked it!

Just posting here reminds me that I'm overdue for a sushi trip..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom