Sushi help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I'm not an aficionado about sushi.
I've had it probably as many times in my life as I have fingers.
this weekend, I'll be having sushi, alone.
so far, I am comfortable with only normal types.
salmon, tuna, lobster, shrimp and crab.
I don't want to go outside the box with things I am not familiar with like sea urchin or eel or octopus.
please suggest what to order this weekend so I can venture out of the maki rolls or whatever they're called and get something interesting.
thank you.

I would strongly suggest the eel - it's got an amazing flavor and has the texture of a cooked firm fish. REALLY good!!!!

If they have red snapper that's really good.

Does the restaurant you are going to have a web page?

The eel usually is cooked, and it has a teriyaki-like sauce on it. It's one of my favorites.

Here's a site with lots of info about sushi, including a page on sushi for beginners:
The Sushi FAQ - The Definitive Guide to Sushi and Sashimi

Tempura is another good option - they put tempura-fried shrimp or fish inside a maki roll. You could try a spicy tuna hand-roll - it's similar to maki but looks like a bouquet :)

LEFSE - if they have flying fish roe try that in the nigiri form. It's kind of sweet, crunchy, pops in your mouth. You just have to be prepared for all those little crunchy eggs in your mouth. Flying fish roe looks like the orange masago but it is this beautiful, brilliant red color.

Eel is one of my favorites, it has a delicious flavor alone, and often is served with a sweet sauce to compliment.

I had whitefish for the first time yesterday, would reccomend.

Try sashimi, its just the fish. Make sure to cleanse your palate between diff. things with the pink pickled ginger.

Make sure to cleanse your palate between diff. things with the pink pickled ginger.

That's one thing I don't understand. I prefer to eat a VERY small piece with the tuna or salmon, but, I cannot eat that stuff alone. It ruins my palate versus cleanses.

lefse, try yellowtail, white tuna, scallop, and fatty tuna, for starters.

a liitle more adventurous? add mackerel, surf clam, octopus, and fying fish roe.

LEFSE - if they have flying fish roe try that in the nigiri form. It's kind of sweet, crunchy, pops in your mouth. You just have to be prepared for all those little crunchy eggs in your mouth. Flying fish roe looks like the orange masago but it is this beautiful, brilliant red color.
oh good grief, I have a visual I'm not even going to describe.:huh:
I've decided to take my laptop into the place on Friday and Saturday night and show them this thread and say "hey, do what "they" said." :-p
GotGar, thanks for the link, that's a great idea and I will read it when I finish posting here. last week, I got so full, I almost burst from eating it so they packaged it up for me, added more wasabi and soy and I had it for lunch the next day and loved it 'twice' then, good deal right?
BBQ, I find sashimi really plays havic with my gag reflexes. the texture of only raw fish, just gets me with throat closing syndrome:mellow:
Buckster, I don't like scallops at all, any way they're fixed, way too talked up for me, don't see the wonderment in them at all. but the rest, you've already helped me with and again, laptop going with me into sushi bar...

LEFSE - scallops at a sushi bar are totally different than cooked scallops - they are SO sweet it's unbelievable! This thread is killin' me - what I wouldn't give for a plateful of rolls/sashimi and a cold unfiltered saki right now!

I don't want to go outside the box with things I am not familiar with like sea urchin or eel or octopus.

Well if you don't want to go outside the box, its hard to try new things. The whole point of sushi is to experience great tastes beyond the box.

Enough of my lecture. Get Eel. Its delicious.

Here is another vote for eel. It is delicious. Other than that, have the sushi chef make you whatever he feels is the best that day. Tell him things you absolutely won't eat, but put yourself in his hands and you just may be treated to some things you otherwise never would have had.

lefse, i can uderstand your aversion to scallops. i really don't like "sea fat" either. but as sushi, it's delicioso. elfie is dead on, it's nice and sweet.

and really give yellowtail and white tuna a go. you won't be disappointed.

another one, salmon skin, is just crisped salmon skin, just like you fried up a pice of salmon. try it in a roll or hand roll.

y'all are killin me here.
gad, all this talk about something I've been afraid of all my scuba diving days.
next you'll tell me to try shark, NOPE!
I know, outside the box is more fun, and I also know I'm boring {NOT;)} but I hate to send something back or complain cause it'd be my fault. The guy that usually waits on me is wonderful and patient with this novice. I'll leave it up to him and his chef behind the very tiny counter, in full view of my eyes. if he takes something out of the frig that screams scary, I'll scream and run outta there.
y'all think I'm kidding but I'm taking my laptop in there and he and I will figure out by your suggestions and his brilliance too. he knows I'm a light weight.
I'll get brave, I promise. then I'll report back.
heck, he may even have a butter dish for me behind that counter of his...:LOL::LOL:

Shark is good too, cook it like a steak.

And Im not lettin ya get all scared on me, I took my 83 year old grandpa out for sushi the other day and he LOVED it. We're talkin about a big ol' irishman very set in his ways. He was still raving about it to this day, calling it "quite a treat". Its worth trying new foods, it really is. Theres no shame in not liking it after you try it, but sheesh, give it a chance.

Good luck on your adventure!

y'all have me convinced to try the scallops, so I will. and I do adore caviar and if you say to try the flying fish roe, I suppose I could try it too. you say it pops in your mouth, is it tiny little itty bitty balls or salmon roe sized?

Iron Chef put up a photo of spicy "caviar" the other day (that's the title of the thread). That will give you the quickest pic around.

Teriyaki shark is yummy with noodles. Shark is served as part of fish and chips pretty regularly around here. Cooks easily too.

y'all have me convinced to try the scallops, so I will. and I do adore caviar and if you say to try the flying fish roe, I suppose I could try it too. you say it pops in your mouth, is it tiny little itty bitty balls or salmon roe sized?

Flying Fish roe are itty bitty and has more crunch versus pop.

Back
Top Bottom