SwordFish.. Need thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin

Senior Cook
Hello.

I bought Swordfish for my husband and would like some suggestions on how to cook it. I figured I would just follow the directions to bake..But are there some quick and easy ways to spruce it up a bit? I thought about putting butter on it... but I don't know what would taste good... To me no fish tastes good so what are your thoughts?

For two quick and tasty ways to spruce up swordfish, we can look to Italy:
  • Make a pesto and serve it on top of the swordfish after grilling or sauteeing. This is a version of Pesce Spada alla Genovese
  • Make a picatta style sauce of lemon, white wine, butter, capers, and Italian parsley. Picatta is one of the most simplest pan sauces to make. Just search Google or Yahoo to find one.

I think there are only two ways to eat a good and fresh swordfish. Raw and grilled.- Fior the grill, I agree with Ironchef, especially in the second way. For the raw, look at my topic, if you like, otherwise in every way you like. I suggest a simple marinade with oil, lemon, parsley an minced firm eggs. Or, in a medium way, hot a cube of fish 6x6x6 cm in a pan, raw inside, and serve with peeled ginger, fresh oil, pepper and salt.

I happen to love the flavor of swordfish and hate when it is mucked around with ... baked or broiled with just a pinch of salt, a little pepper, and plenty of butter is the best in my book.

IMHO - put the strong flavors in the side dishes ... steamed green beans with butter and lemon-pepper (maybe with some sautéed diced onion and slivered almonds), and a rice pilaf - or parsley new potatoes.

But - that's just my taste buds .....

I'm agreeing with the above poster, swordfish is one of the better available. Grill it, for sure and keep the seasoning light. Doesn't need much.

if you don't like fish all that much, sear it in a little evoo, then finish it in a light tomato sauce with lots of garlic.

s&p the fish, sear it on both sides in evoo for just a minute or 2 in a deep skillet, set aside. add 3 cloves of garlic, minced, to 2 tbsps evoo over medium heat, lightly toast the garlic, then add a large can of chopped tomatoes. simmer for a few minutes, then nestle the fish in the sauce, spooning a little over the fish. cover and simmer until cooked thru, turning once.

if you have fresh basil, and/or parsley, toss it in just before serving.
if you like spicy food, add a good pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.

this will work with just about any fish. i just made this with basa last night. (didn't have time to grill as planned)

Michael in FtW said:
I happen to love the flavor of swordfish and hate when it is mucked around with ... baked or broiled with just a pinch of salt, a little pepper, and plenty of butter is the best in my book.

IMHO - put the strong flavors in the side dishes ... steamed green beans with butter and lemon-pepper (maybe with some sautéed diced onion and slivered almonds), and a rice pilaf - or parsley new potatoes.

But - that's just my taste buds .....

I agree wholeheartedly with Michael. The rich flavour of swordfish is something to be savoured, with a very light additions that will compliment the flavour, not to overpower. Squeeze of lemon or lime juice and sprinkle of either parsley or cilantro are also nice in addition to butter and pepper...

Back
Top Bottom