Talapia - Panko or Plain Breadcrumbs? And other help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems to me that rice cereal is more delicate than panko crumbs and so might not hold up as well, but that's a guess - I have no experience cooking with rice cereal. I bought my panko crumbs in a regular grocery store, in the Asian foods section.

The chef at our grocery store gave me an awsome recipe. It's a blend of minced garlic and pepper rub. I'm sure you too can find this rub, as well as the sauce, at your grocery store. You drizzle the fish with grapeseed oil and toss with the rub. Cook on a skillet about 5 minutes each side. Top with Sweet Chili Lime sauce. It's a hit with my family. Amazingly delicious!

even though the cereal RR used was clearly marked on the box as Puffed Rice cereal, I'm associating that with the same as puffed wheat cereal, with the brown thingies on the cereal instead of just plain white like the puffed rice. What came out of RR's box was in appearance, Rice Krispies. Now I am confused. Oh well.

I would definitely give puffed rice or Rice Krispies a shot. I think the key to using either one is not to crush them too finely. You could conceivably achieve a nice crispy outer covering with fried foods using these cereals. Try it at least one time, then you'll know. If you don't try, you'll never know whether it works or not.

Does anyone besides me ever have a problem with Panko crumbs burning before the fish is cooked? That's one reason why I stopped using them except for baked dishes.

No matter how I adjusted the heat, the crumbs were always coming out way over-brown (if not out & out burnt) before the seafood was done thru. And I definitely do not like overcooked fish, so it's not like I was cooking it too long.

No, Breezy, never had any trouble with my panko burning and I use it for lots of applications. The panko-breaded food is always done properly and the panko is nice and golden brown. Sorry you had challenges with it.

I think MaltoMeal makes both versions of the rice krisps and the puffered rice. I'll try them, what the heck, time to live on the edge.
KatieE, dinner never got made yesterday. DH called and said,"Meet me at Steak Sensation for dinner in 20 minutes." Guess what's for dinner tonight? Also, I can breathe again, I got my parm cheese and evoo at the market, I feel so much better....................kiss all your kitties for me

Back
Top Bottom