"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: York
Posts: 31
Tartar sauce

Hi I thought I would make James Martins Tarter sauce. I have watched him on TV. How difficult could it be. This is the recipe (using the tarter sauce section)

BBC Food - Recipes - Haddock goujons, chips and tartare sauce

I have done this but all I get is a guey mess. Not the thick creamy one I would buy in a shop. In desperation I got a hand held blender to it all. This reduced the capers and gherkins down. Should I add some or all of the egg white and blend it in as well or add mayonase or even both?

It would be nice to make my own.

__________________

__________________
otuatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by otuatail View Post
Hi I thought I would make James Martins Tarter sauce. I have watched him on TV. How difficult could it be. This is the recipe (using the tarter sauce section)

BBC Food - Recipes - Haddock goujons, chips and tartare sauce

I have done this but all I get is a guey mess. Not the thick creamy one I would buy in a shop. In desperation I got a hand held blender to it all. This reduced the capers and gherkins down. Should I add some or all of the egg white and blend it in as well or add mayonase or even both?

It would be nice to make my own.
Did you add the oil too quickly? it can cause the mixture to curdle if you add it at more than a dribble.
__________________

__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: York
Posts: 31
Maybe I should have whisked it at the same time as slowly adding the oil. Would using the white of the egg work with what I have got?
__________________
otuatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,836
I use mayonnaise to make tartar sauce.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: York
Posts: 31
Thanks. I heated it up with some corn flour and added mayonnaise. Looks OK and tastes OK.
__________________
otuatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I use mayonnaise to make tartar sauce.
Me too. Easy peasy.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by otuatail View Post
Maybe I should have whisked it at the same time as slowly adding the oil. Would using the white of the egg work with what I have got?
No. You can use the same mixture you already have but will need to start over with the egg yolks and vinegar. Follow #6 directions exactly. VERY slowly add the oil mixture into the egg yolks and vinegar. I usually use the blender or food processor to make mayo/aioli emulsions, which is what you are trying to do, and drip the oil in very slowly. Some food processors even have tubes that have a drip hole in them for just that purpose.

BTW, I normally use prepared mayo for my tarter sauce too like the others.
__________________
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:44 AM   #8
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: York
Posts: 31
Ok thanks will try that medtran49 next time. I've added the coments to the recipie. The problem with James martins recopies are some do not work out as they should. For example: For perfect mash potatoes equal quantity's of potatoes double cream and butter. That means

1kg Spuds
1kg Buter
1Kg Double cream

This would make a soup. Far too much butter and cream.
__________________
otuatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by otuatail View Post
Ok thanks will try that medtran49 next time. I've added the coments to the recipie. The problem with James martins recopies are some do not work out as they should. For example: For perfect mash potatoes equal quantity's of potatoes double cream and butter. That means

1kg Spuds
1kg Buter
1Kg Double cream

This would make a soup. Far too much butter and cream.
In that case he would be fired from my kitchen.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by otuatail View Post
Ok thanks will try that medtran49 next time. I've added the coments to the recipie. The problem with James martins recopies are some do not work out as they should. For example: For perfect mash potatoes equal quantity's of potatoes double cream and butter. That means

1kg Spuds
1kg Buter
1Kg Double cream

This would make a soup. Far too much butter and cream
.
That or a potato "milk shake"'.
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sauce

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.