"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
Master Chef

Just a "FYI" - there was an interesting article in yesterday's New York Time's food section re: there being an actual glut of Maine lobsters at the moment resulting in their being at their lowest price in many years. Somehow that "lowest price" hasn't yet trickled down to Virginia. In fact, none of the new supermarkets that have recently opened up in our area even have lobster tanks. At this moment there is actually only ONE supermarket that still carries live lobster, & I absolutely DREAD the day when I might have to shell out the big bucks & mail-order them.

I SO miss my Long Island, NY, days when we used to buy our lobsters (not Maine, but from Long Island Sound) right off the boats from the docks. Many times when we were out boating on the Sound ourselves, we'd even draw up alongside a lobsterman & buy right from the boat in the middle of the Sound. Talk about fresh!!!

Oh, & I always boil mine. Large margin for error & you never end up with meat sticking to the shell as can happen with steaming &/or broiling. And whether one-pounders or 3-pounders - always tender, never tough.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post

Oh, & I always boil mine. Large margin for error & you never end up with meat sticking to the shell as can happen with steaming &/or broiling.
I have never had lobster stick to the shell because of steaming. I have never even heard of that.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Here's how I do mine.

I use a 20 qt. stock pot. You can make a basting sauce of your choice. I prefer something along the lines of a beurre blanc with parsley.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Here's a way to make lobster stock using the lobster cooking water, shells and some veggies.

I froze it and used it for Bouillabaise later on.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #15
Master Chef

The price of lobster has fallen so much that the lobstermen can't make any money on them and some have stopped harvesting them. It costs more to run the boat and pay the crew than they can make selling them at the dock.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The price of lobster has fallen so much that the lobstermen can't make any money on them and some have stopped harvesting them. It costs more to run the boat and pay the crew than they can make selling them at the dock.
Any extras can be delivered to my house, please.

Free beer!
Old 12-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
I have never had lobster stick to the shell because of steaming. I have never even heard of that.
No offense meant GB, but it can & does happen. You mentioned that you like steaming because you end up with zero water coming out when you break open the lobster. However, if steamed just a bit too long, that same no-moisture factor can end up with the meat adhering - strongly - to the shell, especially in the claw & knuckle portions. Can be very difficult to extract, & dry to boot as well with many threads of meat left behind. My point re: boiling is that even if someone overcooks the lobster, the meat might end up a bit tough, but it'll still slide right out because of the extra moisture. Overcooking when steaming can make that difficult.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #18
Master Chef

I've had dry meat in the knuckles many a time in restaurants. Maybe that was because they steamed or overcooked it.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #19
Master Chef

Unless it's a seaside place where they're definitely cooking the lobsters as they're ordered, I NEVER order whole lobster in a restaurant.

In fact, the one & only time I ever got sick from a lobster was years ago & when hubby & I (for one of the last times) dined at a "Red Lobster" during one of their "Lobster Fests". They obviously cook the lobsters ahead of time & keep them under those infrared heat lamps. The claws were so hard that we had to send them back for the kitchen to open. Figure they took them out back & drove over them with a truck. In hindsight, we should have sent my lobster back, but we persevered on. I ended up with severe gastrointestinal distress that night that I totally attribute to that obviously too-long-held lobster.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
No offense meant GB, but it can & does happen. You mentioned that you like steaming because you end up with zero water coming out when you break open the lobster. However, if steamed just a bit too long, that same no-moisture factor can end up with the meat adhering - strongly - to the shell, especially in the claw & knuckle portions. Can be very difficult to extract, & dry to boot as well with many threads of meat left behind. My point re: boiling is that even if someone overcooks the lobster, the meat might end up a bit tough, but it'll still slide right out because of the extra moisture. Overcooking when steaming can make that difficult.
No offense taken. I never said it does not happen. I only said I have never (in my hundreds of lobsters eaten) seen it.

Also, I never said there is no moisture in the steamed lobsters. I said when you crack open a steamed lobster you do not have that gush of hot water pouring out. The steamed lobsters I have had have been anything, but dry.

There was a survey done of Boston seafood chefs not too long ago where they asked which they preferred, boiled or steamed. Just about every single chef said that they did not see a difference between the methods. The end result could be the same. None of them claimed that they would be able to tell, by taste, which lobster was boiled and which was steamed.

Tags
None