"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Unless it's a seaside place where they're definitely cooking the lobsters as they're ordered, I NEVER order whole lobster in a restaurant.

In fact, the one & only time I ever got sick from a lobster was years ago & when hubby & I (for one of the last times) dined at a "Red Lobster" during one of their "Lobster Fests". They obviously cook the lobsters ahead of time & keep them under those infrared heat lamps. The claws were so hard that we had to send them back for the kitchen to open. Figure they took them out back & drove over them with a truck. In hindsight, we should have sent my lobster back, but we persevered on. I ended up with severe gastrointestinal distress that night that I totally attribute to that obviously too-long-held lobster.
I am a little confused by this. Are you saying that because the shells were so hard that something was wrong?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #22
Sous Chef

I think our boat price for lobsta is below $5 @ #. I can ship on dry ice.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Unless it's a seaside place where they're definitely cooking the lobsters as they're ordered, I NEVER order whole lobster in a restaurant..

Luckily I live next door to the ocean.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Unless it's a seaside place where they're definitely cooking the lobsters as they're ordered, I NEVER order whole lobster in a restaurant.
I would never in a million years order a lobster from a restaurant that was not on the ocean. Lobster needs to be fresh and unless you can walk to the ocean from the restaurant (OK that is a bit of a minor exaggeration) then you will find me getting something else.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Us inlanders have to take what we can get. As long as they are alive before cooking, like clams or mussels, you should be fine ordering a whole lobster in a landlocked restaurant. Especially today.
That old oil boomtown in PA, Pithole, used to have them brought in every week. And that was by horse and wagon.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #26
Master Chef

GB - re: the lobster shell hardness - yes. Neither my husband putting all his weight into using a cracker nor the waiter smacking them with a hammer - an actual claw hammer - could break these suckers open. They were unbelievably dry - in fact, the whole lobster was very dry. It definitely was not "fresh from" either a boiling or steamer pot. I should have sent it back. Having worked in the restaurant industry, I really believe that during "Lobster Fest", Red Lobster has (or used to have) a number of these beauties already cooked & out under heat lamps. At least they did back then (this was in the '80's).

Like I said, both husband & I grew up on the waterfront, so definitely know what a decent lobster should be like. Having one at Red Lobster when we had so many other options was just a severe lack of judgement at the time - lol!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

I have never heard of shell hardness being a factor in a fresh lobster. Shell hardness has to do with how long the lobster has had that particular shell. I actually prefer the hard shelled lobsters. They are a pain in the neck to break into, but I find that the lobster fills out the shell more (it has been in the shell longer so the meat fills up the empty space) as opposed to a soft shell that has a lot of empty space inside where the meat one day would have been had the lobster had a chance to grow more.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #28
Sous Chef

In the summer, generally July and August, lobsters shed their shells so that they can grow. Once the lobsters have shed their old shells, there are new, soft shells underneath. These shells will harden over the course of time and as the water gets colder. Since the lobsters shed their shells in order to have room for growth the following year, there is less meat inside a soft-shell lobster than there is in a hard-shell lobster of the same size. This also accounts for their lower prices.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

This is a quandry. The hard-shelled lobsters are 'fuller' so you are getting close to the amount of meat the shell suggests. But the shell is thicker and therefore heavier than a soft shell.

On the other hand, a soft-shelled lobster may not fill the shell but the shell itself weighs a lot less than a hard shell because it's so thin. As a result, a higher percentage of the total weight is meat...

...I think.

So if you had a hard-shell lobster and it molted and became a soft-shell lobster of essentially the same size, you'd pay less for the whole lobster because of the thinner shell and you'd get the same amount of meat for less money.

The soft-shells appear to give you less because there is so much space between the shell and the meat that you feal 'cheated'.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is a quandry. The hard-shelled lobsters are 'fuller' so you are getting close to the amount of meat the shell suggests. But the shell is thicker and therefore heavier than a soft shell.

On the other hand, a soft-shelled lobster may not fill the shell but the shell itself weighs a lot less than a hard shell because it's so thin. As a result, a higher percentage of the total weight is meat...

...I think.

So if you had a hard-shell lobster and it molted and became a soft-shell lobster of essentially the same size, you'd pay less for the whole lobster because of the thinner shell and you'd get the same amount of meat for less money.

The soft-shells appear to give you less because there is so much space between the shell and the meat that you feal 'cheated'.
The other thing to keep in mind though is that lobsters taste best when taken from cold waters. Summer is actually not the best time to eat lobster even though that is when the majority of people eat them. Lobsters from colder water are much sweeter. For me, I would rather pay a little more for the same amount of meat if it tastes better. I usually only get lobsters in the warm months though because I rarely cook them at home and only go to the ocean in the summer.

Tags
None