"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,027
Tex-Mex Walleye


__________________

__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,027
__________________

__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,954
El Norte meets the Rio Grande. What a great idea. bookmarked.
__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,132
Walleye! Lovely pic, BTW.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
Sorry--but walleye is best breaded and pan fried. And the idea of cheese with walleye, well, that just doesn't sit well with me.

Here's how we do it:

1. Blot the fillets dry.
2. Divide the following in three trays (I use pie tins + 1 9 x 13 in cake pan).
--Saltine crackers, crushed, or panko crackers, salt/ground pepper/parsley
3. beat 1 egg with a bit of cornstarch
4. --1 c flour with 1 - 2 tsp cornstarch, black pepper, salt, and garlic powder
Dust the fillet in the flour mixture, dip in the egg, and then roll in the crumb mixture. Pan fry in 1/2 butter, 1/2 olive oil. This whole thing about dressing walleye up--waste of time and walleye is good plain. Toss 1/4 lemon or lime wedge on the plate.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,132
More walleye!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Sorry--but walleye is best breaded and pan fried. And the idea of cheese with walleye, well, that just doesn't sit well with me.

Here's how we do it:

1. Blot the fillets dry.
2. Divide the following in three trays (I use pie tins + 1 9 x 13 in cake pan).
--Saltine crackers, crushed, or panko crackers, salt/ground pepper/parsley
3. beat 1 egg with a bit of cornstarch
4. --1 c flour with 1 - 2 tsp cornstarch, black pepper, salt, and garlic powder
Dust the fillet in the flour mixture, dip in the egg, and then roll in the crumb mixture. Pan fry in 1/2 butter, 1/2 olive oil. This whole thing about dressing walleye up--waste of time and walleye is good plain. Toss 1/4 lemon or lime wedge on the plate.
With so many eyes in the freezer, that gets old. yeah its good but there are many ways to do walleyes. try it before you knock it. Also try fryng it with just potato flour in butter and oil, I think you'll like it.
__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
Sous Chef
 
no mayonnaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 553
I'm a native of San Antonio, TX and this dish, while maybe good on its own, is not indicative of Tex-Mex cuisine in my experience. You can't add jalepenos and Mexican blend pre-shredded cheese to a dish and call it Tex-Mex. Either the author of the recipe visited the most touristy spot available or doesn't understand the cuisine. JMHO.

I'm still trying to figure out what "Mexican seasoning" is.
__________________
no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
With so many eyes in the freezer, that gets old. yeah its good but there are many ways to do walleyes. try it before you knock it. Also try fryng it with just potato flour in butter and oil, I think you'll like it.
Unfortunately, walleye is not something I get to stockpile, so the traditional way of making it isn't done often enough to get old. I only get to eat walleye when I'm in MN.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
I'm a native of San Antonio, TX and this dish, while maybe good on its own, is not indicative of Tex-Mex cuisine in my experience. You can't add jalepenos and Mexican blend pre-shredded cheese to a dish and call it Tex-Mex. Either the author of the recipe visited the most touristy spot available or doesn't understand the cuisine. JMHO.

I'm still trying to figure out what "Mexican seasoning" is.
__________________

__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
recipe, tex-mex

Tex-Mex Walleye [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/39817-albums938-picture5272.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.