"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-12-2014, 05:48 AM   #21
Head Chef

I have been making Jasper White's chowder for years. it
s the best. A also make one very like the Clear Chowder. My recipe (clipped from a newspaper)is called Outer Banks Chowder. No cream and just a little starchy potato . I do not use anything else for a thickener.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:30 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Addie

Jasper's clam chowder recipe is what I cook from and it's simple , authentic and delicious.

Jasper's New England Clam Chowder, Recipe from Martha Stewart Living, December 2000
I would follow Jasper right to the gates of Hell. I love the fact that he recommends PEI potatoes. The only item I don't add is the celery. But I do sauté it in large chunks and then remove it. I love the flavor of it, but not the texture.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

When did DC become a Nit-Picking Society in which the OP's recipe is torn to bits and gets no encouragement and thanks for posting his recipe?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
When did DC become a Nit-Picking Society in which the OP's recipe is torn to bits and gets no encouragement and thanks for posting his recipe?
I did mention that we managed to destroy the OP's recipe apart a few posts back.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
When someone claims that their recipe is the best, it sort of asks to be challenged.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
When hasn't it been?
Pick a thread about food and chances are 65-80% of the comments are negative and from the same people.

What I would like to see is FoodNelson come back and defend his recipe, but I can certainly understand why he wouldn't.

I read lots of folks saying clam juice and not chicken stock, but in his vid I believe he uses clam juice and mentions adding it until you get the right consistency. So if you don't like thick chowder, add away
And if I was making chowder I would consider it a shame to use fresh clams. Not unless I was leaving them whole, but me being from PA automatically makes me a non-expert on chowder. I just know what tastes good to me.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I thought it was a nice recipe and video, and appreciate that Foodnelson shared it with us. I also see nothing wrong with canned clams and bottled clam juice. While I too am no expert on clam chowdah, I've made some very tasty versions using the canned ingredients.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

The Best Clam Chowder Recipe

I appreciate everyone's comments. Yes, it does have bacon in it and that would be considered eating meat on Fridays during Lent. If you want to be really strict on the whole lent thing, don't put the bacon in and just use an oil of your choice to saute the onions in. I agree that fresh clams are best but not everyone has access to fresh clams. Unfortunately, the only alternative to fresh clams is to use canned clams.

Happy cooking!
Old 03-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #29
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you insist on a thick chowder (HORRORS!)
According to Merriam-Webster, chowder is "a thick soup or stew made of seafood or corn with potatoes and onions and milk or tomatoes"

I actually like chowder somewhat on the thick and creamy side. But not so thick a spoon will stand up straight.

For me, somewhere in the range of pea soup kind of thickness is perfect. However, it's really a matter of preference, isn't it?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

The last time I made soup a spoon would stand up in was the first time I cooked with barley

Tags
clams, recipe

The Best Clam Chowder Recipe This calm chowder is very creamy with just the right touch of spices and seafood flavors. It is also full of tender, juicy clams. This is a must soup for lent or anytime during the year! 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and broken 2 large medium yellow onions, finely chopped 1/2 cup chicken broth 2 medium potatoes, cubed 1 tsp sea salt 1/2 tsp Shellfish Spice 6 tbsp butter 6 tbsp corn starch 3 cups milk 2 cups half-and-half cream 4 (10 oz) cans baby clams, undrained 2 tbsp chopped parsley Fry bacon in a large Dutch oven until crisp, remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Add onion to pot, saute until softened, then add potatoes and chicken stock. Season with salt and Shellfish Spice, cover and cook for 15 minutes. In a second large saucepan, melt butter, whisk in corn starch, whisking to make a roux. Cook for 1 minute, then add cream and milk while whisking. Cook over low heat until thickened. Pour into onion and potato mixture, add clams only, reserving the juice in the cans. Add bacon and the reserved juice a bit at a time to reach desired consistency. Stir and gently cook over moderate heat until heated through about 10 minutes. Transfer to soup tureen and garnish with parsley or Shellfish Spice. [url=http://youtu.be/2hXlEXT4h3w]The Best Clam Chowder Recipe - YouTube[/url] 3 stars 1 reviews