"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
According to Merriam-Webster, chowder is "a thick soup or stew made of seafood or corn with potatoes and onions and milk or tomatoes"
Thick is a very relative term. Traditional NE clam chowder should be "thick", but those not from NE often interpret that as spoon standing up thick. The best NE clam chowders would never support a spoon unless you were holding it.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodnelson View Post
I appreciate everyone's comments. Yes, it does have bacon in it and that would be considered eating meat on Fridays during Lent. If you want to be really strict on the whole lent thing, don't put the bacon in and just use an oil of your choice to saute the onions in. I agree that fresh clams are best but not everyone has access to fresh clams. Unfortunately, the only alternative to fresh clams is to use canned clams.

Happy cooking!
BTW, Welcome to DC. It certainly hasn't been the most friendly welcome we have extended to any new member. But we all are certainly glad to have you here.

There really are some very nice folks here. And we do have a lot of laughs. If you don't believe me just check out our "Today's Funny." And we have an imaginary DC house that we visit every so often. There are two imaginary kittens there that love to play with you. One of them is named Buttons. He is my favorite. These kitties never grow into cats. So when your day gets too difficult, head over and sit in the rocker and the kitties will climb up on your lap. There is also a Keurig coffee maker with every flavor K pod and the same goes for tea bags. Or you might just want to warm up with a big mug of steaming cocoa.

So again, WELCOME! So glad you found us.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
The last time I made soup a spoon would stand up in was the first time I cooked with barley

Yup! Barley will do that to your soup. Been there, done that. Barley Stew with lamb is what I made.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yup! Barley will do that to your soup. Been there, done that. Barley Stew with lamb is what I made.
The quickest fix; call it something else
Old 03-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #35
Master Chef

I made a pot of mushroom barley soup recently. The next day it was mushroom barley pudding. By the time we were through with the entire batch I had gone through another quart of beef broth. Next time I'll pre-cook the barley before adding it to the rest of the soup.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I made a pot of mushroom barley soup recently. The next day it was mushroom barley pudding. By the time we were through with the entire batch I had gone through another quart of beef broth. Next time I'll pre-cook the barley before adding it to the rest of the soup.
Having had the barley oops myself, the last beef and barley soup had the barley cooked separately and added later.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...Next time I'll pre-cook the barley before adding it to the rest of the soup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...the last beef and barley soup had the barley cooked separately and added later.
...or just add less barley.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...or just add less barley.
Well, that would work. But, we like a lot of barley in the soup, but don't want the barley stew, so lots can be added to individual bowls.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I cook the barley in beef stock in a separate pan. That way it tastes like it belongs to the Beef soup, not just an add on.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've made unintentional barley pudding before too. Cooking the barley separately in beef stock is a good idea.

Tags
clams, recipe

The Best Clam Chowder Recipe This calm chowder is very creamy with just the right touch of spices and seafood flavors. It is also full of tender, juicy clams. This is a must soup for lent or anytime during the year! 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and broken 2 large medium yellow onions, finely chopped 1/2 cup chicken broth 2 medium potatoes, cubed 1 tsp sea salt 1/2 tsp Shellfish Spice 6 tbsp butter 6 tbsp corn starch 3 cups milk 2 cups half-and-half cream 4 (10 oz) cans baby clams, undrained 2 tbsp chopped parsley Fry bacon in a large Dutch oven until crisp, remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Add onion to pot, saute until softened, then add potatoes and chicken stock. Season with salt and Shellfish Spice, cover and cook for 15 minutes. In a second large saucepan, melt butter, whisk in corn starch, whisking to make a roux. Cook for 1 minute, then add cream and milk while whisking. Cook over low heat until thickened. Pour into onion and potato mixture, add clams only, reserving the juice in the cans. Add bacon and the reserved juice a bit at a time to reach desired consistency. Stir and gently cook over moderate heat until heated through about 10 minutes. Transfer to soup tureen and garnish with parsley or Shellfish Spice. [url=http://youtu.be/2hXlEXT4h3w]The Best Clam Chowder Recipe - YouTube[/url] 3 stars 1 reviews