"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I cook the barley in beef stock in a separate pan. That way it tastes like it belongs to the Beef soup, not just an add on.
Good tip.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I tend to be miserly with my beef stock. It takes so long to make.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I tend to be miserly with my beef stock. It takes so long to make.
I use Better Than Boullion...
Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Me too...
Old 03-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

I opened up a container of College Inn Bold beef stock last night to add to some taco sauce, simmer and turn it into more of an enchilada sauce. No way would I do that if I had to make my own stock. That would seem like a waste. I favor the containers over the dry cubes, powders or paste, but that's me.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #46
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I opened up a container of College Inn Bold beef stock last night to add to some taco sauce, simmer and turn it into more of an enchilada sauce. No way would I do that if I had to make my own stock. That would seem like a waste. I favor the containers over the dry cubes, powders or paste, but that's me.

I agree. Liquid over dry for soups and such. I also use some chicken and beef bases to boost the flavor of a sauce or soup.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Me too...
Better Than Bouillon has soy.

I found some organic stock at the health food store. It was over $5 for a container that looked to hold about a cup.

I almost always have chicken stock and vegi "stock" in the freezer. Those seem easier. Most of the beef I buy doesn't come with bones.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #48
Master Chef

My version of creamy clam chowder

Msmofet's 's Creamy Clam Chowder (AKA New England Clam Chowder)

Bacon - 4 slices
Small onion chopped
2 stalks celery - chopped small - optional
1 1/2 lb Small red skin potatoes - unpeeled
All-purpose flour
Butter
1 (8 oz) Bottled Clam juice or fresh clam liquor
Half-and-half
1/4 cup dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
2 (6.5 oz) cans minced clams with clam liquor from can (may use fresh)
Salt - to taste
Ground black pepper - to taste
1/4 cup Fresh parsley chopped fine - to taste
3 Scallions (washed and sliced into rounds white and green parts)
Oyster crackers - optional

Wash potatoes and place in pot. Cover with water and add salt. Bring to boil and cook till tip of knife inserted in potato comes out easily. Drain and cool with cold water. When potatoes are cool enough to handle cut into small cubes (leave skins on).

Cut raw bacon across the slices into small pieces. Cook bacon in pot large enough to hold completed soup. When bacon is cooked completely and crispy remove from pot, drain on paper towels and crumble.

In the same pot with the bacon fat sauté the onions (and celery if used) and cooked cubed potatoes (season with salt and pepper) till onions are soft without browning.

The next part can be a bit tricky. Just follow the rule and adjust as needed.

Rule of thumb:

1 Tbls fat
1 Tbls flour
1 cup liquid

Will yield 1 cup when finished

To make the cream part of soup:

Flour
Equal parts Butter and bacon fat
1/2 and 1/2
Clam juice (and/or clam liquor)
Salt and ground pepper

Decide how much finished soup you want to have and (and how thick you want it) then follow the rule above for measurements.

In the pot with onions and potatoes; add butter to bacon fat (equal amounts of each) and melt the butter. Sprinkle with flour and cook for 1 - 2 minutes. Add thyme, salt and ground pepper to taste. Add clam juice , wine , clams and clam liquor that the clams were in. Stir and cook till thickened. Add 1/2 and 1/2 till your reach the thickness you desire. Cook for about 1 minute stirring.

To finish the soup add parsley and bacon to pot . Stir well and gently simmer for 1 minute. DO NOT BOIL OR YOU RISK BREAKING THE CREAM. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.

Ladle into bowls garnish with scallions. Serve with oyster crackers if desired.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #49
Master Chef

Lovely msm! What time should we show up for supper?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #50
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Better Than Bouillon has soy.

I found some organic stock at the health food store. It was over $5 for a container that looked to hold about a cup.

I almost always have chicken stock and vegi "stock" in the freezer. Those seem easier. Most of the beef I buy doesn't come with bones.
Use what stock you have to cook the barley in, the veg stock would be good. You just want the barley flavored not plain.

Tags
clams, recipe

The Best Clam Chowder Recipe This calm chowder is very creamy with just the right touch of spices and seafood flavors. It is also full of tender, juicy clams. This is a must soup for lent or anytime during the year! 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and broken 2 large medium yellow onions, finely chopped 1/2 cup chicken broth 2 medium potatoes, cubed 1 tsp sea salt 1/2 tsp Shellfish Spice 6 tbsp butter 6 tbsp corn starch 3 cups milk 2 cups half-and-half cream 4 (10 oz) cans baby clams, undrained 2 tbsp chopped parsley Fry bacon in a large Dutch oven until crisp, remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Add onion to pot, saute until softened, then add potatoes and chicken stock. Season with salt and Shellfish Spice, cover and cook for 15 minutes. In a second large saucepan, melt butter, whisk in corn starch, whisking to make a roux. Cook for 1 minute, then add cream and milk while whisking. Cook over low heat until thickened. Pour into onion and potato mixture, add clams only, reserving the juice in the cans. Add bacon and the reserved juice a bit at a time to reach desired consistency. Stir and gently cook over moderate heat until heated through about 10 minutes. Transfer to soup tureen and garnish with parsley or Shellfish Spice. [url=http://youtu.be/2hXlEXT4h3w]The Best Clam Chowder Recipe - YouTube[/url] 3 stars 1 reviews