The Best Clam Chowder Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been making Jasper White's chowder for years. it
s the best. A also make one very like the Clear Chowder. My recipe (clipped from a newspaper)is called Outer Banks Chowder. No cream and just a little starchy potato . I do not use anything else for a thickener.

Last edited:
When did DC become a Nit-Picking Society in which the OP's recipe is torn to bits and gets no encouragement and thanks for posting his recipe?

When did DC become a Nit-Picking Society in which the OP's recipe is torn to bits and gets no encouragement and thanks for posting his recipe?

When hasn't it been? :LOL:
Pick a thread about food and chances are 65-80% of the comments are negative and from the same people. :wacko:

What I would like to see is FoodNelson come back and defend his recipe, but I can certainly understand why he wouldn't.

I read lots of folks saying clam juice and not chicken stock, but in his vid I believe he uses clam juice and mentions adding it until you get the right consistency. So if you don't like thick chowder, add away :)
And if I was making chowder I would consider it a shame to use fresh clams. Not unless I was leaving them whole, but me being from PA automatically makes me a non-expert on chowder. I just know what tastes good to me.

I thought it was a nice recipe and video, and appreciate that Foodnelson shared it with us. I also see nothing wrong with canned clams and bottled clam juice. While I too am no expert on clam chowdah, I've made some very tasty versions using the canned ingredients.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Yes, it does have bacon in it and that would be considered eating meat on Fridays during Lent. If you want to be really strict on the whole lent thing, don't put the bacon in and just use an oil of your choice to saute the onions in. I agree that fresh clams are best but not everyone has access to fresh clams. Unfortunately, the only alternative to fresh clams is to use canned clams.

Happy cooking!

If you insist on a thick chowder (HORRORS!)
According to Merriam-Webster, chowder is "a thick soup or stew made of seafood or corn with potatoes and onions and milk or tomatoes"

I actually like chowder somewhat on the thick and creamy side. But not so thick a spoon will stand up straight. :ohmy:

For me, somewhere in the range of pea soup kind of thickness is perfect. However, it's really a matter of preference, isn't it?

The last time I made soup a spoon would stand up in was the first time I cooked with barley :rolleyes:

According to Merriam-Webster, chowder is "a thick soup or stew made of seafood or corn with potatoes and onions and milk or tomatoes"
Thick is a very relative term. Traditional NE clam chowder should be "thick", but those not from NE often interpret that as spoon standing up thick. The best NE clam chowders would never support a spoon unless you were holding it.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Yes, it does have bacon in it and that would be considered eating meat on Fridays during Lent. If you want to be really strict on the whole lent thing, don't put the bacon in and just use an oil of your choice to saute the onions in. I agree that fresh clams are best but not everyone has access to fresh clams. Unfortunately, the only alternative to fresh clams is to use canned clams.

Happy cooking!

BTW, Welcome to DC. It certainly hasn't been the most friendly welcome we have extended to any new member. But we all are certainly glad to have you here.

There really are some very nice folks here. And we do have a lot of laughs. If you don't believe me just check out our "Today's Funny." And we have an imaginary DC house that we visit every so often. There are two imaginary kittens there that love to play with you. One of them is named Buttons. He is my favorite. These kitties never grow into cats. So when your day gets too difficult, head over and sit in the rocker and the kitties will climb up on your lap. There is also a Keurig coffee maker with every flavor K pod and the same goes for tea bags. Or you might just want to warm up with a big mug of steaming cocoa.

So again, WELCOME! So glad you found us. :angel:

I made a pot of mushroom barley soup recently. The next day it was mushroom barley pudding. :huh: By the time we were through with the entire batch I had gone through another quart of beef broth. Next time I'll pre-cook the barley before adding it to the rest of the soup.

I made a pot of mushroom barley soup recently. The next day it was mushroom barley pudding. :huh: By the time we were through with the entire batch I had gone through another quart of beef broth. Next time I'll pre-cook the barley before adding it to the rest of the soup.
Having had the barley oops myself, the last beef and barley soup had the barley cooked separately and added later.

I cook the barley in beef stock in a separate pan. That way it tastes like it belongs to the Beef soup, not just an add on.

:LOL: I've made unintentional barley pudding before too. Cooking the barley separately in beef stock is a good idea.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom