The Boil is On!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still, after 25 years in US, can't understand why they are so small. That size crayfish in Russia were considered babies, and one was not allowed to keep, ad to throw back in the water. The crayfish we used to get was the size of grocery store lobster. And it tasted so good it didn't need any spice. Some salt and fresh dill for boiling. Lots of beer to wash it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

That kind don't get much bigger than 6 inches or so. The GDs kept one as a pet for a long time and it maybe got to 6.5 inches.

I still, after 25 years in US, can't understand why they are so small. That size crayfish in Russia were considered babies, and one was not allowed to keep, ad to throw back in the water. The crayfish we used to get was the size of grocery store lobster. And it tasted so good it didn't need any spice. Some salt and fresh dill for boiling. Lots of beer to wash it down.

CharlieD, it's a different species from what you had in Russia.

Also remember that this dish is from the southeast and south coasts of the United States, where spicy foods are common. It's not that the crawfish *need* spice - it's that the people living in these areas like spicy food.

It's very much like the New England boiled dinner, except that smaller shellfish are used instead of lobster. Where I live, shrimp is more common because it's available locally. Crawfish are not as common here.

CharlieD, it's a different species from what you had in Russia.

Also remember that this dish is from the southeast and south coasts of the United States, where spicy foods are common. It's not that the crawfish *need* spice - it's that the people living in these areas like spicy food.

It's very much like the New England boiled dinner, except that smaller shellfish are used instead of lobster. Where I live, shrimp is more common because it's available locally. Crawfish are not as common here.

We have native crawfish up here, they're mudbug size. You probably have them where you are too, Charlie. A friend says they tear up her somewhat swampy backyard every year. Apparently they're edible as well.

Last edited:
Better late than never,right? I cook the veges and sausage separately from the crawfish and then remove and keep warm. During the time for the pot to get to a rolling boil and while the veges/sausage cook, I rinse/soak the crawfish until the water draining from the coolers runs clear. It took 3 rinses with this sack. Then they are purged (soaked and drained) using kosher salt.

Veges and sausage in the pot.

36788-albums1032-picture6545.jpg

Crawfish after soaking and rinsing, waiting to be purged.

36788-albums1032-picture6547.jpg

36788-albums1032-picture6546.jpg

Once the crawfish are done, they go in a cooler with some of the boil liquid and bags of ice to stop the cooking. They then soak for 20 minutes before being served along with the veges and lots of ice cold beer.

36788-albums1032-picture6553.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom