"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
Head Chef

The shrimp shells are sticking to the flesh!

I made some NoLa BBQ shrimp last night, because I found some heads-on shrimp at our local Hispanic market. I used the recipe that I’ve used countless times, with two differences. At Alton Brown’s suggestion I bribed the shrimp in a solution of of salt and sugar for 15 minutes, and I used ghee instead of butter.

The shrimp melded to their shells! It was near impossible to peel them without totally mangling the shrimp. It was like that one hard boiled egg that just won’t peel, and gets relegated to egg salad.

I don’t think this has ever happened to me before, and I’m at a loss as to how to explain it. Could it be the age or time frozen for the shrimp, the breed of shrimp, or did I mess up something in the cooking?

Old 03-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef

You probably cooked them too long. We occasionally get stone crab claws that have been cooked a bit too long and they'll stick to the shell and cartilage.

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
Master Chef

I'm confused. I understood your post from the "Ghee" thread to mean that it was a success...?

"I made some New Orleans bbq shrimp last night, and I used ghee instead of butter. The result was delightful. Not only did the ghee add a lovely, nutty flavor, but it’s smoking point is much higher than butter, so there was no burned taste to the dish. For that very reason, I find that it’s very useful in sautés and slow cooked sauces. And I love the way the kitchen smells while it’s cooking!"
Old 03-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I'm confused. I understood your post from the "Ghee" thread to mean that it was a success...?

"I made some New Orleans bbq shrimp last night, and I used ghee instead of butter. The result was delightful. Not only did the ghee add a lovely, nutty flavor, but it’s smoking point is much higher than butter, so there was no burned taste to the dish. For that very reason, I find that it’s very useful in sautés and slow cooked sauces. And I love the way the kitchen smells while it’s cooking!"
Ghee is clarified butter.
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Overcooked is my guess. It doesn't take much with shrimp.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

That's happened to me when I've overcooked shrimp on the grill. They were really tough to peel. I ended up eating a lot of charred shell.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I've never done shrimp in the shell - either stove top or grill so have never had the problem. I was considering trying them on the grill this summer because so many people rave about it but now reading this... I just might have second thoughts.

Main reason for not cooking in shell for me has been the peeling of hot shrimp has just never 'a-peeled' to me.
I only want to get that little sucker in my mouth as soon as possible!
Old 03-16-2018, 10:39 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Ghee is clarified butter.
S&P - Cheryl knows what ghee is - I think she meant that she thought his post about the shrimp was a success having used the ghee, etc... and now he's saying the shrimp were a mess ...
Old 03-17-2018, 12:44 AM   #9
Head Chef

The shrimp weren’t a mess, they were actually delicious, just a bit hard to get to. They never came close to a grill; I make mine in a cast iron skillet in the oven. The sticky shrimp showed no other sign of being overcooked, no rubbery texture and not dry. I suspect the reason may be that there was residual sugar from the brine that fused the flesh to the peel. I didn’t notice any particular benefit from the brine, so next time I won’t use it. And feel free to tell Alton Brown! (Maybe his recommendation for brining was only for peeled shrimp...)
Old 03-17-2018, 12:58 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

My reference to the grill was that I had overcooked them that way. The point was overcooking at a high temp.

I wish I knew what the marinade was for Korean grilled shrimp, aka Saewoo Gui. I can oinly find restaurants that serve it.

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shrimp