"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
The "Skinny" on Tilapia

This article appeared in the New York Times Environmental section recently.

It details the reasons that farmed tilapia is not good food. I think it's worth a read.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for posting this.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Head Chef

I tried tilapia when it first came to market, and wasn't impressed. I can count the number of times I've cooked or dined them since on one hand. But mostly because I'm an avid angler and tilapia are a nasty infestation of local waterways, I dislike them. Visit your local park pond; chances are good they've taken over it. I'll take a look at the article, June, thanks for the skinny.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Thank you for posting this. I had heard that they weren't very healthy and that they were an environmental threat. It's nice to have the info with the details all in one place.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Master Chef

Very interesting June, thanks.
There was a "stomach churning" discussion here about Tilapia a while back, although I can't find it now. Anyway, it convinced me that I would never ever buy that fish.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Master Chef

Interesting article. I would appreciate some help in understanding what fish might be a better choice. My thought is that most anything I can buy is going to be coming from some type of fish factory. Please let me know what you think.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Interesting article. I would appreciate some help in understanding what fish might be a better choice. My thought is that most anything I can buy is going to be coming from some type of fish factory. Please let me know what you think.

Any well stocked fish market department will have a variety of wild caught fish. They all should be labeled as 'wild caught' or 'farm raised'.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I'm not big on freshwater fish, although I like farm raised catfish. To me, tilapia is an invading parasite that has gotten into our freshwater systems. There are several aquaculture projects locally that have reach commercial viability, but I will never be a customer.

Craig
Old 05-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I skimmed the article this morning, but must have missed the part where it said tilapia were "unhealthy". It said they were not as high on omegas as other fish, but I'm going to blindly say that that is the reason they are probably so mild and tasteless, or what's the phrase... a "blank canvas"? lol.
Not being as beneficial does not make them unhealthy.

I did read something on the farming techniques that wouldn't fly in the US, but what's new? There are many products made outside of the US for the sole reason of a more lenient gov't when it comes to certain things. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw made in the USA on the tag in my Levis.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't buy or eat tilapia, so I have no horse in this race. I tried tilapia once, but it was a little too bland for my taste, but to say you wouldn't eat it because it was farmed is like saying you won't eat pork for the same reason. IMO. Although I know there a lots of folks that don't eat any meat for just that reason.

Besides, to spurn farmed fish, fish that they say can be on your table in 12 hours, which has to be a good thing, is dampening a whole "wild caught" industry at $4 a lb more. lol
Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

i buy them and i eat them. i simply cannot afford the prices of other species. i think they taste good and i feel are better than eating lots of red meat.

Tags
other