"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #11
Master Chef

It is indeed the fat that gives fish that unpleasant flavor. But htat being said, there can be wide variations in flavor of even single species due to water quality, availability and type of food, and even water temperature.

Cold water holds more oxygen than does warmer water, producing a better flavored and textured fish. Eastern Brook Trout for example, have a deep orange color and wonderful flavor when taken from streams ajoining with Lake Superior. The same fish, when caught from streams and lakes stocked with trout have a pale-white flesh, with less flavor. The same is true of fish caught from streams emptying into Lake Michigan.

Also, some fish are prized for their mild flavor, in spite of their oil content. Up here in the U.P. of Michigan, we get freshwater perch, walleye (Pickeral for our Canadian freinds), and a host of pan-fish that are all very mild in flavor, yet high in nutritional value.

There just isn't a firm "this fish is better". There are so many variables involved. And yes, tillapia is almost foolproof, as is pollok.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:41 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I am a bit dense here...but you saypat the fillet dry and sprinkle S&amp..What's that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
We were taught at cooking school to soak fish in milk for ten minutes to minimize fishy smells. For example, soak sea bass fillet in milk then pat dry, sprinkle S&P, lightly coat with flour, then pan-fry. Serve with desired sauce. Mmm mmm.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer
I am a bit dense here...but you saypat the fillet dry and sprinkle S&amp..What's that?
That was a glitch we had in the system Lancer - you are not dense at all. I think Chopstix meant it to say "salt & pepper".
Old 04-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

thnaks, MJ
Old 04-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #15
Master Chef

There are grains such as Flax Seed that are also high in Omega-3 fatty acids. A definite problem with fish is that most of the planet's water is contaminated with nasty stuff like metyl mercury, lead, etc. Teh methyl mercury is absorbed by aquatic plants and are then eaten by small fish, which in turn are eaten by the fish we eat. The mercury is stored mostly in the fish fat/oil. Though I love fish, I eat it sparingly as there have been numerous cases of persons including regular servings of fish in their diet, to "eat healthier", who have suffered major health problems from ingesting the mercury.

Fish is an important source of valuable nutrients, but must be consumed with intelligence. We as a species are contaminating our own nest, and food supply. Do a bit of research on the internet about heavy metal poisoning related to seafood. You might be suprized, and not happily so.

For Omega-3 fatty acids, it might be wiser to ingest supplements, or grains that naturally contain them.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #16
Head Chef

Agree with Goodweed, if you are interested in Omega-3 fatty acids, take a pill.

To me food is to be enjoyed. As long as you do not have a medical reason to avoid certain foods would suggest you eat those items you like, of course moderating as appropriate. And make them a part of a balanced diet.

If research proved that for every hard boiled egg one ate they would live one hour longer, I wouldn't gain five minutes of breathing time. (Hate those suckers, but like eggs other ways.)

If you learn to like fish, great, but choose to eat the ones you like.

In my humble opinion life is too short to choke down food I don't like (unless I am just being polite, but that could be another thread).

Take care and welcome aboard. Always nice to meet new friends.

Tags
None