"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
They are strictly saltwater fish. There are several species, like salmon, snook, tarpon and bull sharks that travel between salt and fresh. The snook is edible, but is a game fish and can't be caught commercially. Cobia, also called ling, is now being "farmed" in open ocean pens. Since this is happening, more and more folks will have access to it. The biggest cobia ever taken was off of Brazil, by spearfishermen. It weighed 172#. Can't be considered a world record because it wasn't taken by hook and line.
Speaking of which, I was just at Restaurant Depot and they had WC, whole cobia (sans head) in the case. I asked how much and the counter guy didn't know as it is a new item. He was waiting for the bean counters to set the price.
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Like I said, there are so many great fish in the oceans. Anybody try Humboldt squid yet?. I hear they are being serve3d on the west coast and are delectable.
Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Now if you stuffed one of those with the stuffing used for haggis, I might consider eating it!
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:54 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,919
I both mahi mahi and wahoo. I made this back in July: Mahi mahi fillets dredged in flour and Penzeys Trinidadian seasoning (lemon, garlic, ground ginger and and few other things), then pan-fried. Now I'm wanting to get some more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475009630495.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	25458  
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
When I worked on the drift fishing boat in S. Florida, we would regularly catch trigger fish while bottom fishing (drift boats sometimes bottom fish when things slow down).
Each one caught was kept, Kept for us that worked on the boat.
None of our customers wanted them as they wanted the popular varieties.

Once you learned how to clean and especially remove the skin, you ended up with a very good pure white fillet. Not to big. Perfect and delicious. But considered trash fish in those days. Might still think that way as I have never seen or heard of anyone eating them.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
When I worked on the drift fishing boat in S. Florida, we would regularly catch trigger fish while bottom fishing (drift boats sometimes bottom fish when things slow down).
Each one caught was kept, Kept for us that worked on the boat.
None of our customers wanted them as they wanted the popular varieties.

Once you learned how to clean and especially remove the skin, you ended up with a very good pure white fillet. Not to big. Perfect and delicious. But considered trash fish in those days. Might still think that way as I have never seen or heard of anyone eating them.
I have eaten them. A lot of islanders fish for them for the table. They don't gather in large schools that would make them commercially feasible, at least I've never seen more than a couple at a time when diving.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I have eaten them. A lot of islanders fish for them for the table. They don't gather in large schools that would make them commercially feasible, at least I've never seen more than a couple at a time when diving.
Triggers love pink toe nail polish on toes exposed when wearing full foot fins! They just can't help having a nibble. Some students just have to learn the hard way why their instructor recommended booties and jet fins.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Triggers love pink toe nail polish on toes exposed when wearing full foot fins! They just can't help having a nibble. Some students just have to learn the hard way why their instructor recommended booties and jet fins.
We went snorkeling off my mother's sailboat in the Keys a few times. I remember being told not to wear sparkly t-shirts or jewelry because some of the fish are attracted to that.

Oddly, when I saw barracudas far below me, I didn't worry about them, but if they were swimming at my eye level, they freaked me out
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We went snorkeling off my mother's sailboat in the Keys a few times. I remember being told not to wear sparkly t-shirts or jewelry because some of the fish are attracted to that.

Oddly, when I saw barracudas far below me, I didn't worry about them, but if they were swimming at my eye level, they freaked me out
You can imagine my surprise when this young lady (1 of 3) started overtaking me while swimming upside down and looking back at the line of triggers following her.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:41 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,136
There's More than 1 Great Tasting Fish in the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We went snorkeling off my mother's sailboat in the Keys a few times. I remember being told not to wear sparkly t-shirts or jewelry because some of the fish are attracted to that.

Oddly, when I saw barracudas far below me, I didn't worry about them, but if they were swimming at my eye level, they freaked me out

There is a nice 5 ft. 'cuda at one of our favorite snorkeling places, he/she has been there for years. Always cracks me up to see folks scrambling out of the water when they see it.

Due to ignorant folks feeding them, the chubs and Sargent Majors close to entry will occasionally try a nip or two, looking for a handout. The triggers are usually more mild-mannered.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
There is a nice 5 ft. 'cuda at one of our favorite snorkeling places, he/she has been there for years. Always cracks me up to see folks scrambling out of the water when they see it.

Due to ignorant folks feeding them, the chubs and Sargent Majors close to entry will occasionally try a nip or two, looking for a handout. The triggers are usually more mild-mannered.
Especially dive guides/dive masters. Now think of a 6' green moray, 50 # black grouper or any number of sharks purposely fed by these idiots.
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fish

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.