"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 09-27-2016, 12:59 AM   #1
Master Chef

There's More than 1 Great Tasting Fish in the Sea

You've all heard me extol the virtues of the trout, char, and salmon family of fish. And I've stated on DC that swordfish is right up there on my list of favorites as well. Well now, I have another to add to the list of exceptional fish. I heated up a 11 inch SS pan, then added 1 tbs. oil and swirled it around. I opened the fish packets, giving me to beautiful fillets that I lightly seasoned with simply S&P. I placed the fillets into the pan over medium heat and cooked until the outside was very lightly browned, and the inside flesh was cooked through. I took my first ever taste of the delectable sea creature and fell in love. The fish wasn't sweet like pollock, or cod. It wasn't oily. The flesh was white, firm and beautifully flaky, with a sublime texture. There was just enough fish flavor to excite my taste-buds without making my mouth scream - fish!

"What could this miraculous creature from the briny-blue be?, you might ask. It was Mahi-Mahi, or dolphin (the fish, not the mamal), and it was delicious. How come we don't grow these in Lake Superior? There must be some way of breeding fresh water mahi mahi.

If you haven't tried it, and you like mild, firm fish, you have got to try this stuff. it's amazing. Nuf said.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:07 AM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
You've all heard me extol the virtues of the trout, char, and salmon family of fish. And I've stated on DC that swordfish is right up there on my list of favorites as well. Well now, I have another to add to the list of exceptional fish. I heated up a 11 inch SS pan, then added 1 tbs. oil and swirled it around. I opened the fish packets, giving me to beautiful fillets that I lightly seasoned with simply S&P. I placed the fillets into the pan over medium heat and cooked until the outside was very lightly browned, and the inside flesh was cooked through. I took my first ever taste of the delectable sea creature and fell in love. The fish wasn't sweet like pollock, or cod. It wasn't oily. The flesh was white, firm and beautifully flaky, with a sublime texture. There was just enough fish flavor to excite my taste-buds without making my mouth scream - fish!

"What could this miraculous creature from the briny-blue be?, you might ask. It was Mahi-Mahi, or dolphin (the fish, not the mamal), and it was delicious. How come we don't grow these in Lake Superior? There must be some way of breeding fresh water mahi mahi.

If you haven't tried it, and you like mild, firm fish, you have got to try this stuff. it's amazing. Nuf said.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
If you like mahi-mahi, then sometime you need to try wahoo. I find both to be equally delicious. Not quite as dense as some of the larger game fish, so they stay more moist when cooked.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:35 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Dont mahi-mah stay in salt water? If that is the case they are not adapted for fresh water.

Anyway, I prefer wolf fish.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I regularly grill it and serve with pineapple salsa. Here's some health info:

Is Mahi Mahi Healthy? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
Old 09-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #5
Head Chef

I remember feeling the blood drain out of my face when I read the menu of the restaurant we had gone to in Florida.
DOLPHIN! how could they! The waitress quickly assured me it wasn't the mammal but a fish.

That was close to 40 years ago. It wasn't long after that restaurants were listing Mahi Mahi... I guess I wasn't the only one to re-act!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #6
Sous Chef

It's also widely called dorado.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #7
Head Chef

In recent years catfish have started to become popular up here. Now I know they are not a saltwater fish - but they are delish too!

Around here it is difficult to get them plain. The closest supplier always seems to sell them pre-seasoned, which I detest - what are they trying to cover up?

I had a difficult time eating my first one. All I could think of was BottomFeeder, yech! Nowadays they are farmed and are clean before they hit the market. Have you seen the episode with Lynn Crawford on a Catfish farm. - Always amusing but also informative.

There is also a Youtube video of guys catfishing using their forearms. Oh my!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #8
Executive Chef

They are strictly saltwater fish. There are several species, like salmon, snook, tarpon and bull sharks that travel between salt and fresh. The snook is edible, but is a game fish and can't be caught commercially. Cobia, also called ling, is now being "farmed" in open ocean pens. Since this is happening, more and more folks will have access to it. The biggest cobia ever taken was off of Brazil, by spearfishermen. It weighed 172#. Can't be considered a world record because it wasn't taken by hook and line.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
Master Chef

I know that mahi mahi is a saltwater only fish, and can't be adapted to live in fresh water. I was just wishin'. But then again, we have some freshwater fish available to us that the rest of the world just envies. And Wahoo is just not available in my neck of the woods.

Then again, across teh border into SSM Ontario, I've purchased skate, which was also amazing, as long as it is absolutely fresh. If left in the display for very long (couple of days, it develops a strong ammonia smell and becomes inedible.

Like I said, there are so many great fish in the oceans. Anybody try Humboldt squid yet?. I hear they are being serve3d on the west coast and are delectable.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

There's More than 1 Great Tasting Fish in the Sea

The first time I had mahi mahi was many years ago, in Hawaii, after a very long flight. We were exhausted and starving. It was macademia-crusted, and absolutely delicious, and Loretta the talking parrot was a great dinner companion. It's still one of my favorites. I also love walleye and lion fish.

Tags
fish