TNT "Baby Calamari Over Linguini"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Had a package of frozen baby squid in the freezer & threw this together last night. It was fabulous!! If you can find true baby squid - 2"-3" long, you can either leave them whole (cleaned) or cut them into 2 or 3 rings, but I'm sure larger squid would work as well - just slice them accordingly. And of course, always include the tentacles. :chef: My package of squid was only one pound, but lots of experience cooking squid, I'd say up to 3 pounds would work in this recipe since squid does shrink a bit with cooking.

BABY CALAMARI OVER LINGUINI

1 small onion (or half of a larger one), chopped

4 cloves of garlic, peeled & roughly chopped
1/4 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1 to 3 lbs. baby squid (2-3” long), tubes & tentacles, cleaned – tubes left whole or cut into rings, depending on size. Larger squid can be used – just cut down to size accordingly
1 lg. can (28 oz.) whole plum tomatoes, undrained
1 can flat anchovies in oil, undrained

1/2 cup dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)

1 Tbls. Dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp. dried basil (you can also use fresh, just triple the amount)

1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)

1-2 to 1 lb. linguini, cooked to al dente stage & drained

Heat oil in a large saucepan or deep skillet until softened. Add garlic & anchovies (with their oil), using a spoon to roughly cut anchovies into pieces in the pan. Add tomatoes, again using a spoon or knife to roughly quarter or cut them into large pieces. Add wine, Italian seasoning, basil, & crushed red pepper flakes & simmer for approx. 1/2 an hour, then add squid & simmer for an additional 1/2 hour.

Serve over linguini.

(Sorry about the spacing/format screw-up. I don't know why it's happening & can't seem to be able to edit/fix it.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom