"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #11
Master Chef

I can't believe all the amazing recipes you all have for Salmon........I can't wait to start trying them. The only way I've ever ate salmon was Salmon Patties so this is going to be a whole new experience.

Question.........if I find Salmon on sale does it freeze well? If so, how long before it has to be used? Also, how do you thaw it out?

Thanks all!

Old 02-20-2005, 04:20 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I freeze salmon all the time. Buy a whole fillet, and cut it yourself into 'steaks'. Get a good quality 'cling wrap', and some gallon freezer bags. Wrap each 'steak' individually in the cling wrap, then pack them in the freezer bags. When you close the 'zip', stick a straw in the opening and close it as tightly as you can up to the straw. Then inhale through the straw to get as much air out of the bag as possible, and close the rest of the way. (This is the way we poor folks who don't have the vacuum food sealers do it! :) ). To thaw, I just either put them in the fridge on a plate overnight, still wrapped in cling, or even on the counter - gasp - for a few hours predinner.

Old 02-20-2005, 11:07 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Another way to "press" all or most of the air from a ziplock baggie, is to fill you sink with several inches of water. Almost completely seal the bag, and submerge the bag EXCEPT for the zipper. Water pressure will squeeze the air out without damaging the food product. Finish zipping the bag shut while it's submerged, remove from the water, and freeze. You may want a little help in submerging the product if it's light and wants to float.

I know Bang has his speciality, "Fried Critter". My speciality is to Blacken everything. Blackened Salmon is very tasty. The strong taste of the salmon holds up well to the heavy seasoning and spiciness of being blackened.

Here's a recipe I just came across today in my "chipotle" tangeant I've been on lately. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds great.

Salmon with Chipotle Sesame Vinaigrette and Fried Basmati Rice
Yields: 4 servings

For The Vinaigrette:
1 Chipotle
1 c toasted sesame seeds
1/3 c Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla)
2/3 c rice vinegar
1 T chopped garlic
1 T grated ginger
1 T chopped lemon grass
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 T chopped fresh basil
1 T chopped fresh mint
Juice of 2 limes
For The Fried Rice:
2 T sesame oil
4 c cooked Basmati rice
1 t chopped garlic
1 t grated ginger
1/3 c soy sauce
2 T brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 oysters, shucked
4 shrimp, peeled, deveined
4 scallops
4 crawfish
2 t Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla)
2 T rice vinegar (aji mirin)
˝ c sliced green onions
For The Salmon:
4 salmon fillets
Salt, to taste
2 T sesame oil

For The Vinaigrette: Combine the pepper, sesame seeds, fish sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, cilantro, basil, mint and lime juice in a blender container. Process until thoroughly mixed.
For The Fried Rice: Heat the oil in a large skillet until it begins to smoke. Add the rice and sauté for 1 minute. Add the garlic, ginger, soy sauce and brown sugar. Sauté until the rice is dark brown, stirring frequently.
Cook the egg in a small nonstick skillet until set, forming a thin omelet. Slice into thin strips and add to the rice mixture. Add the oysters, shrimp, scallops, crawfish, fish sauce, vinegar and green onions. Cook for 4 minutes or until the seafood is cooked through.
For The Salmon: Season the salmon with salt. Heat the sesame oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the salmon. Cook for 4 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 minutes longer.
To Assemble: Spoon a mound of the rice in the center of each serving plate and top with the salmon. Drizzle the vinaigrette around the plate. Serve immediately.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:09 AM   #14
Master Chef

Thanks everyone! Marm..........I've done the same thing and received some strange looks from family members. AllenMI I'll have to give your way a try also.

Tags
None