"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 03-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #21
Cook

I usually add to my New England Clam Chowder, creamed corn, pre-cooked shrimp, bacon (cut up into tinym pieces & shredded cheese on top........
But, my question...............what else should I serve with this........we are having company & I know they will expect more than oyster crackers.........
I thought of smoked salmon on pumpernickle bread w/cucumber & cream cheese as a sandwich (cut really cute) ... actually I really have no idea what else to have.
A salad -- is so-so on my lists of options....(two first courses is a no-no)

Old 03-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #22
Half Baked

I usually serve a chewy sourdough bread and a salad but any of the above mentioned would be great.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #23
Executive Chef

I don't use a recipe for chowder. I'll make it with clams or conch or hogfish with the basics remaining the same.
Most often with clam chowder, I'll wait till a 50 count bag of littlenecks are on special. They get purged and steamed with the steaming liquid kept for the chowder and the clams removed from shells. We usually have some frozen fish/shrimp stock to add as needed.

Ingredients:
Clams
onion
celery
carrots
potatoes
bacon (1/4 lb or more as you like)
seafood stock and clam steaming liquid (Reserve 1/2 cup)
butter (1/2 stick or as you like)
Flour
Half and half
S&P (white preferably)
White wine (optional)

Dice onions, celery carrots amd potatos(1/4" dice for onions and celery, 1/2" dice for carrots and potatos). Cut bacon into 1/2" dice. In appropriate sized soup pot, on medium heat, saute bacon until crispy then remove leaving drippings. Add butter until melted. Add onion and celery, season with salt and pepper and saute until tender. Add white wine (if using) and cook a couple minutes. Add stock and steaming liquid and bring to a simmer. Add carrots and cook for a few minutes, then add potatoes. Cook until both are tender. In the mean time, make a slurry with flour and reserved stock, set aside. Add half and half, to your liking, bring to a boil and add slurry. Cook until thickened, reduce heat, add clams and bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Once clams are warmed through, remove from heat and serve. Add your favorite hot sauce as you like!

With the conch or fish, the timing of their addition is different.

Tags
None