Too much fish, am I safe for a few days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
ok I over did it. I want to try to eat more fish. So what do I do? I go to the store and I do my weekly grocery shoping. I bought 1lb of cod, 1lb of salmon and these little fresh daily chowder fish cups they put together. Not too shabby at $3.99 for the cup which is a pound.

Ok that was Friday. I cooked up the cod today for my kids and 2 of there friends. They had it for lunch with Rice. There little so they don't eat a lot. Unless its doritos or icecream. ha ha. I think I'm going to try to make a super simple fish chowder recipe from Fish Chowder Recipe - Food.com.

My question, can I wait until Monday to cook the Salmon? I'm having company tomorrow and my brother is treating to his Lasagna. I bought all this fish on Friday at Market Basket.

I always hear people say to buy fish the day you plan on making it. Getting nervous about my fish choices. Am I sounding too fishy? :ROFLMAO:

Too many variables with fish.

You don't know if it's been previously frozen (likely) or when it arrived at the Market Basket.

I'd personally not eat it, but you might do a sniff test and if it smells fishy it's gone off. Then it's your call.

ok I over did it. I want to try to eat more fish. So what do I do? I go to the store and I do my weekly grocery shoping. I bought 1lb of cod, 1lb of salmon and these little fresh daily chowder fish cups they put together. Not too shabby at $3.99 for the cup which is a pound.

Ok that was Friday. I cooked up the cod today for my kids and 2 of there friends. They had it for lunch with Rice. There little so they don't eat a lot. Unless its doritos or icecream. ha ha. I think I'm going to try to make a super simple fish chowder recipe from Fish Chowder Recipe - Food.com.

My question, can I wait until Monday to cook the Salmon? I'm having company tomorrow and my brother is treating to his Lasagna. I bought all this fish on Friday at Market Basket.

I always hear people say to buy fish the day you plan on making it. Getting nervous about my fish choices. Am I sounding too fishy? :ROFLMAO:
From the point of view of quality, fish is best eaten as soon as possible after it comes out of the water. However we aren't all that fortunate. The test is that fish should never smell "fishy" but should smell "of the sea" and if it smells in the least bit of ammonia throw it away.

Sniff test, definitely. Also, run your dry hand over it to make sure it doesn't feel tacky. If it does, it's gone.

Whenever you buy fish at the store, don't hesitate to ask the sales person/fishmonger when the fish was brought in. I know I'm safe for a day or two if it's today's delivery. If it was brought in yesterday, I make sure that fish will be tonight's supper.

Salmon should smell like watermelon when really fresh, I wont buy it unless it smells like watermelon, if it is odorless I wont buy it and if it smells like fish, definitely not...

I always buy seafood the day I am going to cook it unless it is still alive {lobster, clams, crab, ect}.

Fish is one of them things that can taste totally different depending on how it was stored and how old it is, with a short time making a HUGE difference... For instance previously frozen sword fish tastes like a different fish than fresh sword, there is a reason its twice the price...

I was on a chartered fishing trip a few years back, I pulled in a 300lb sword and we ate steaks that day off that fish, it was amazing and tasted much different than it did just a day later. In my experience, salmon, mako, sword, and tuna taste much different the older they get, they may still be fresh but deteriorating by the hour. Not all fish are as touchy, Haddock, pollock, and cod tend to taste similar from day old to just before spoiling...

I was on a chartered fishing trip a few years back, I pulled in a 300lb sword and we ate steaks that day off that fish, it was amazing and tasted much different than it did just a day later. In my experience, salmon, mako, sword, and tuna taste much different the older they get, they may still be fresh but deteriorating by the hour. Not all fish are as touchy, Haddock, pollock, and cod tend to taste similar from day old to just before spoiling...

I can see that as these are considered oily/fatty fish. Even when frozen the fat can go rancid. Mako shark, as with all sharks, urinate through their flesh. That is a big reason they start to deteriorate quickly. I've heard soaking in milk (base) helps, but I won't eat shark for the above reason.

I will not buy fish fillets. If I didn't shoot it or see it whole before purchase, I won't eat it.

I can see that as these are considered oily/fatty fish. Even when frozen the fat can go rancid. Mako shark, as with all sharks, urinate through their flesh. That is a big reason they start to deteriorate quickly. I've heard soaking in milk (base) helps, but I won't eat shark for the above reason.

I will not buy fish fillets. If I didn't shoot it or see it whole before purchase, I won't eat it.

I have a recipe for shark that I like, I don't make it often, but yes its not an easy seafood to get perfect, I grill it, soak it in wine, and start with a quality product... A warm milk soak works great, but if there is any sent of ammonia I wouldn't buy it...

I am lucky enough to have a GREAT local source for seafood. You need to know when and where to buy what... I am not a fan of frozen fish so I buy fresh and seafood is one of them things I never plan {unless its lobster since I buy it live}, if I go to the butcher and he has some really good looking sword, tuna, or salmon and I am in the mood for it I will buy it and cook it that day. He is expensive but the product is amazing...

I also WILL NOT order seafood from a restaurant, I only eat it when I cook it myself, I got food poisoning about 9 years ago from salmon and white rice at a restaurant, I was in the hospital for 4 days {2 of which was in icu}, ended up removing my gall bladder shortly after, it was not a pleasant experience, 104 fever, hallucinations, etc... It was a solid 2 years before I ate seafood again...

I have a great local source for a lot of the seafood we eat, the Atlantic Ocean.;)

I have a great local source for a lot of the seafood we eat, the Atlantic Ocean.;)

LOL, I am familiar with her, I have fished everywhere from the coat of block island to cape Elizabeth. One time we chartered a trip in florida with the guys from Chaoss, and I swear we were so far off Jupitor Island one time that I could see grand bahama, :LOL: !!! We just kept chugging east and fast, they said it was how the current works, but it just dragged us so fast and smooth, I never felt anything like it. I didn't catch anything fun that day, but did smoke the motor on my Penn Dolphin, I know I deserve what I get for using an e-assist, but I have pulled in 2 marlins and a bunch of swords by hand, I have fished all over the world and reeled my share of fish, I can honestly say it was fun then but not anymore, lol. I fish to relax...

If you are on the ocean and have the ability to catch fish when you want to eat them, that is the best way to go, no doubt, nothing like catching, gutting, cutting, and cooking before you are even back to shore!!! I would never buy venison, lol, I can go out in my back yard and take my limit in weekend, so I am sure someone who fishes a lot would feel the same way... Or someone who has wild boar in their back yard would not be buying pork...

Well, that's great if you happen to live near the Atlantic Ocean, but for the remaining 99.9% of us who have little choice but to buy fillets, it's more realistic to judge by sight, smell, and touch. I get the impression the original poster probably doesn't have access to his own fishing boat. :rolleyes:

I catch lobster, several species. I don't catch fish, I shoot them. Hogfish being #1, mutton snapper #2 and my favorite, black grouper #3. Although I list it as my favorite, it is #3 because the are very quick to haul butt after seeing you. You better get a shot off within about 3 seconds or they are gone. I'm lucky if I get 2 a year/season.:ohmy:

Last edited:
Well, that's great if you happen to live near the Atlantic Ocean, but for the remaining 99.9% of us who have little choice but to buy fillets, it's more realistic to judge by sight, smell, and touch. I get the impression the original poster probably doesn't have access to his own fishing boat. :rolleyes:

I think he meant see the fish whole, like a fish market that will filet you a salmon in front of you, this way you know the fish wasn't hit by a car or a victim of suicide... :)

I think he meant see the fish whole, like a fish market that will filet you a salmon in front of you, this way you know the fish wasn't hit by a car or a victim of suicide... :)

I'm pretty sure I know what he meant. However, I live smack dab in the middle of the country. When we see salmon here, it's almost never whole, even at the "upscale" fish market where the price is double.

I catch lobster, several species. I don't catch fish, I shoot them. Hogfish being #1, mutton snapper #2 and my favorite, black grouper #3. Although I list it as my favorite, it is #3 because the are very quick to haul butt after seeing you. You better get a shot off within about 3 seconds or they are gone. I'm lucky if I get 2 a year/season.:ohmy:

I have never shot a fish, my father went fishing in alaska and he said they shot the halibut before bringing it in the boat, but the hooked it first. And I have seen people fresh water fish with a rimfire rifle, and pebbles, thats pretty cool, you toss a pebble into the shallow clear water and wait for a fish to investigate, then shoot it and net it, but never did it myself..
I have shot plenty of turkeys {lots of wingeds, I love bird hunting}, deer, bear {ok not plenty of bear, lol}, buffalo {no fun at all, much like target practice, only did that once}, wild hog {about the most fun I have ever had holding a rifle}, etc, but never shot a fish...

Where are you out of Craig, catching lobster and the atlantic coast, Maine?

I choose to live here because there is access to the Atlantic and Gulf. Not telling you what to do with your limited choices, just stating what I will do or not do. BTW, I think you will find a lot more than .01% living around our coastal areas.;)

I choose to live here because there is access to the Atlantic and Gulf. Not telling you what to do with your limited choices, just stating what I will do or not do. BTW, I think you will find a lot more than .01% living around our coastal areas.;)

That's fine for you. Again, most of us here are trying to provide a realistic and reasonable answer to the poster's question, not something as silly as "if you want good fish, walk down to the ocean and shoot it." ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom