Tuna with peas and beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Ideally buy one long fillet of tuna, but you can also use steaks.

600g tuna fillet, in one piece or cut into 6 steaks
100ml teriyaki marinade (either home made or ready in a jar product!)
800g summer pods and shoots, such as mange-tout, green beans, sugarsnaps, salad leaves and cress
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp groundnut oil (I think it may be called peanut oil in US?)*
3cm root ginger, peeled and grated
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp caster sugar
Large handful of chives, stems cut in half
Extra virgin olive oil

*Groundnut oil - a neutral flavoured oil, so can be substituted by another neutral if you have a nut allergy.

Put tuna in a plastic bag or container with teriyaki marinade and chill for a couple of hours.
Blanch beans in boiling salted water for 3 minutes, and sugar snaps for 30 seconds, then submerge in cold water. Drain and finely shred all pods and large salad leaves.
Remove fish from marinade and rub with seasoning and groundnut oil. Pour the marinade into a pan and simmer to reduce to a syrup.
Grill the tuna for 3-4 minutes until thoroughly cooked, with no pink flesh. Baste with reduced marinade on every turn. Remove from grill to cool.
Squeeze the ginger juices into a large bowl, add vinegar, sugar and 2 tsp of reduced marinade, and stir. Add pods and leaves and toss. Lay tuna on plates, top with pods and chives, and splash on a little olive oil to serve.

Last edited:
This sounds very interesting. I have never heard of groundnut oil though. Is it a neutral flavored oil or does it have a distinctive taste?

It's a fairly neutral oil. I suppose you could use sunflower oil as a substitute.

I've just been told that groundnut oil may be known as peanut oil in the USA. This oil would not be a wise thing to use if anyone who will eat this dish has a nut allergy.

Cos that's what the recipe stated, and I don't like fish unless it's cooked right through! Still, nothing to stop you undercooking it - that's the way my husband prefers it, but I don't!

Back
Top Bottom