Vanilla-Scented Halibut W/Asparagus & Hollandaise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
This is really good (another from Addreas Viestad's cookbook Kitchen of Light) even though you would not believe vanilla and fish. I was very pleasantly surprised. Well worth the effort, I really love this and when I can afford wild Alaskan Halibut, this is the way I fix it. It is delicious and not as difficult as it seems.

VANILLA-SCENTED HALIBUT W/ ASPARAGUS & HOLLANDAISE, serves 4

one 1-1/2 pound halibut steak
Fine sea salt
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise in half
1/2 cup dry white wine
8 Tbs (one stick) unsalted butter
2 large egg yolks
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 pounds white or green asparagus, trimmed
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400F

Rinse the fish under cold running water and pat dry. Place the fish in a small baking dish and rub with sea salt. Scrape out the small black seeds from the vanilla bean with the back of a knife and rub them over the fish. Cut the scraped bean into small pieces and place on top of and underneath the fish. Pour over the white wine, cover tightly and bake for 20-30 minutes, until the fish is opaque throughout.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. IN a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks and lemon juice. Whisk in the melted butter and return the mixture to the saucepan, whisking constantly over low heat until it thickens. Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk for 2 minutes. Set aside in a warm spot.

Cook the asparagus in a large pot of generously salted water until tender but still firm, 5-8 minutes. Drain, season and keep warm.

When the halibut is done, transfer it to a platter and over to keep warm. Pour the pan juices into a small saucepan and reduce to 1/4 cup. Cut the halibut into 4 pieces and place on plates. Pour the marinade over the fish, add the asparagus, top with some hollandaise and serve.

Back
Top Bottom