Wasabi!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
hey guys...im gonna have my first encounter with wasabi tonight!!

im making a sesame encrusted seared tuna...that is served with a dipping sauce and wasabi paste on the side.

im curious though...how do i use / serve the wasabi??

the recipie is as follows:

1. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, mirin, honey and sesame oil. Divide into two equal parts. Stir the rice vinegar into one part and set aside as a dipping sauce.
  2. Spread the sesame seeds out on a plate. Coat the tuna steaks with the remaining soy sauce mixture, then press into the sesame seeds to coat.
  3. Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Place steaks in the pan, and sear for about 30 seconds on each side. Serve with the dipping sauce and wasabi paste.

The wasabi is served on the side so that each person can take as much or as little as they like.

Yup - just put a little "blob" of the wasabi paste on the side of each plate. About the size of a quarter - a little goes a long way.

Do you have the paste tube or the powder? If the powder, you have to mix it with a little water to make a paste; the tubed stuff is ready to go.

thanks for the heads up! i got the past in a tube. tried a little just to see what it tastes like....holly cow it was hot!! went running for a glass of water!!

Another great wasabi is place a little bit on some fresh prawns and then using a little bit of egg wash wrap the prawns in wonton paper and deep fry and serve with a sweet soy dipping sauce. Its probably best if you just add a little unless you like things hot.

Wassup with Wasabi?

I love that won ton idea. Consider that one filed!

I was poking around for something, anything, the other night and ended up mixing some wasabi paste with mayo. (If my daughter had her half-and-half in the fridge, I would have put a slurp of that in, too.) To make a sort of dip that was very lime green! I cut up a firm tomato into wedges. I found some onion crackers and made little bites of cracker topped with a tomato piece and dolloped with the wasabi/mayo.
I'll make that one again.
:cool:

A bunch of good ideas here! Wasabi vinaigrette makes a great salad dressing for baby mixed greens with a crabcake sitting on top!

And Wasabi oil - oh my, this is so good. Just whisk the oil into a mixture of:
2 T. hot wasabi paste
1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 T. mirin

1/4 c canaoloa oil
cold water - just to make purée consistency.

great flavor!

If each person has a small shallow dish or bowl for the dipping sauce, they can add a little wasabi to the sauce to create just the taste they want. I don't know anyone who eats wasabi straight up (I'm sure they're out there, though ;)).

Back
Top Bottom