"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 10-23-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
Ways to prep Salmon?

OK, All the talk about salmon patties got me thinking. I have never had a salmon patty in my life, but I love salmon. I would never have thought of using salmon to make patties, my whole life canned salmon was either used for salmon sandwiches or the chunks were put on a fresh green salad. So...I'm interested in hearing about all the different ways people prepare salmon. Canned, and fresh.

Canned - sandwiches
- on salad

Fresh - BBQ
- pan fried
- oven baked

Usually we sprinkle some seasoning on the flesh, or marinate it in Wild West marinade, or stuff the cavity with lemon slices, onion slices and some dill. I will occasionally make a creamy dill sauce to go with.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
Salmon filets:

Pan seared
En Pappilotte with Asian flavors
Panko breaded and pan fried

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
...and for all my Southern friends when Alix says Bbq'd she means grilled

I love grilled - have several "coatings" that a really like - one is a raspberry/garlic/onion/thyme/marjoram/type coating and another is a soy sauce/brown sugar/Dijon mustard coating

At work we made a bbq sauce out of ancho chilies - it was GREAT - served with a jicama slaw

topped with an avocado salsa (much like guacamole only don't mash - add slivered red onions)

sitting on top of a bed of a "salad" made out of fresh fennel, apples, and walnuts with a walnut vinaigrette

Sorry, but I have gotten to where I can't even eat cooked fresh salmon - I eat it raw or just barely grilled/browned on each side - much like Ahi tuna.

As far as canned salmon I have made your basic salmon patties but much prefer my Asian version - unless I want to "go back" in time - then it's regular patties.

I have never eaten canned salmon without making into patties - lol.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
Grilled, poached, sushi, etc. But when I read the title I thought--NOT overdone, rosy pink.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Head Chef
I thought you were talking how well done too!

Still, my answer is the same. Pan fried salmon is a staple meal in my house. Its easy, easy easy and quick. My failproof method is to fry skin side down till the sides seem cooked 1/3 of the way up, then flip over, seal, then I turn off the heat, put a lid on the pan and walk away. I never time this, but its always perfectly just cooked in the middle aand not over done. It gives me time to put some courgettes in a steamer or lightly saute them, or prep and cook leeks or a salad. I love salmon baked in a foil packet, but I always over do them at home and then they are YUK!

Sometimes I baste the samon wth a mixture of dijon or wholegrain mustard, honey and oil. Other times we have it with balsamic vinegar or the bought spicy seafood dressing I adore.
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer
Raw on top of vinegared short grain rice.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Senior Cook
grilled marinated in spiced rum, a bit of brown mustard and honey
bit of dill or grill with a lemon butter sauce. plain salt and pepper is
good too. but i really do prefer grilled salmon
is your glass half full or empty? my is half full
rickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Like GB said, raw. But if cooked, pan seared is the only way to go. No other quick cooking method can bring as much flavor to foods.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
OK, you got me drooling with the thought of salmon sashimi. I don't serve that to my kids though. Why waste it?

Love the ideas here! I'm going to change the title, sorry to mislead you all!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
Executive Chef
I prefer my salmon steaks pan-fried and served with dill and mustard sauce. However, recently I tried a different preparation of grilling the salmon steaks and serving with rice and chestnuts. The dish turned out pretty well, at least DH enjoyed it.

boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote