"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question What are some interesting things to do with shrimp?

I was going to make a shrimpy garlic cream pasta, well i still will but ill still have a fair few shrimp left so i was thinking of trying something else sexy with the others!!

I can always go out and buy ingredients as I wouldnt be doing these for tonight.

To be more specific i'd prefer no rice or noodle dishes :( Just some bloody tasty shrimp.

So....
GO!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Executive Chef

A risotto with shrimp
Make a shrimp butter that you can use when cooking white fish.
a pizza

Old 01-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
Head Chef

Last night at my house, noodles w/evoo, herb and pecorino sauce & sauted asparagus and proscuitto, with grilled shrimp and veggies on top. Really good, and done in 40 minutes. I always keep a bag of shrimp in the freezer. One of the most versatile quick ingredients available.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I've been eying this for a long time: Pasta with Shrimp and Sicilian Pesto

It looks amazing. I'll be trying something similar next week with peas instead of shrimp

Old 01-16-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Executive Chef

And here I was going to suggest that taking them to the museum or sightseeing would be interesting.

But, if you are planning on eating them....well....then....why not thread them on sugar canes and grill them. Then, serve them with mango and coconut rum dipping sauce.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
Head Chef

Wow, vyapti, copied and saved!

I have a deal with my Italian neighbors (twin sisters): They can take a lot of my prolific basil (I am the better gardener) if they will share some of their fabulous pesto with me (theirs is way better than mine, and I have no idea why!)

I will use their basil pesto, with a little garlic minced into it, for this recipe.

Looks wonderful!

Lee
Old 01-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanya
To be more specific i'd prefer no rice or noodle dishes :( Just some bloody tasty shrimp.
BBQed shrimp if the peeling is intact...You will need bread for dipping, and a large napkin.
If they are peeled...Then Scampi or Quickly saute, and chill for a Shrimp Salad.....

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I recently had shrimp fajitas at a local Mexican haunt ... man were they good cooked with those vegies and spices. Not something I'd have thought of on my own, but I'll be doing it now!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

one of our favorites is to first get plenty of fresh Italian bread and get it warm, then put 4-5 lbs of shrimp in a pan with sides sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper, a tiny bit of cayenne pour on some wine and add a cube of butter or two. Depends on your love of butter Add more pepper if you like spicy.We like a lot of butter and when mixed with the pepper and wine, just dunk your warm bread in there grab a shrimp and enjoy..Bake about 10 min at 400 or til shrimp are done the way you prefer.
kadesma
Old 01-17-2009, 12:24 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Wow, vyapti, copied and saved!

I have a deal with my Italian neighbors (twin sisters): They can take a lot of my prolific basil (I am the better gardener) if they will share some of their fabulous pesto with me (theirs is way better than mine, and I have no idea why!)

I will use their basil pesto, with a little garlic minced into it, for this recipe.

Looks wonderful!

Lee
It was actually posted long ago by someone here. The pesto has had me intrigued ever since. I'm considering reducing a veggie/tomato stock just for this. A basil sauce and sweet peas just sound really good to me. I'll do without the shrimp, though.

Tags
None