What can I do with Jelly fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chardonnay

Assistant Cook
Yesterday I went to a little Asian Grocery store and sometimes I can't help but buy some of the stranger things (regardless of the fact that I have no idea what they saying considering they're all in Korean and what-not). So, there in a box was a package of jellyfish. Not frozen or anything, I believe it's dehydrated, but I'm not entirely certain considering it's from the Philippines. Now I just need a recipe to go with it, and I'm willing to try most anything at this point. Any ideas or experiments?

These are salted and dried. They have no flavor to speak of but are used for textural interest and contrast. Usually in a "salad" or other room temp preparation. They crunch, but are simultaneously resilient and somewhat chewy. This food is ALL about texture.

You'll cut them in thin long strips. Most often now, they come precut. You'll be soaking (chilled) them and rinsing them much like you do for salt cod. Then they are given a VERY brief simmer. NOT A BOIL. And only about 30 Second. Then shocked in ice water. If given much exposure to heat, they get quite tough. And they're certainly not tender anyway.

The one I've made the most involves some Chinese roast duck scraps, bean sprouts, shredded lettuce and a flavorful chinese vinaigrette. Some toasted nuts would be good too.

There are some Vietnamese dishes using this too. Similar in concept to the above but wtih more herbs and a fish sauce based dressing. Nuoc cham would be pretty good.

Perfect!
Oh, okay. This is starting to sound very yummy and something that doesn't take terribly long to make. It's perfect because I've also bought a big box of herbs from the store as well as some strange nuts (that are very tasty) from Vietnam. Hmm, I might make a sort of cream sauce to go with this one. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks!

Chardonnay - have you done a web search on "cooking jellyfish"? Because there are TONS of interesting sites with both recipes & step-by-step instructions on how to prep it.

Just a thought. . . .

Yes, unfortunatly most of the ones I looked at required the Jellyfish to be a fresh, and until next month I won't be anywhere near fresh jellyfish. I just wanted to know what I could do with what I've got. Plus I'm on my dad's computer and don't want to go to the wrong website and download something that's going to eat his computer.

That's odd. All the sites I visited had steps for cooking it from the dried state. I used the Yahoo search engine, which tags any suspicious websites - so no "computer eating". I may be wrong, but believe Google does the same. But whatever.

Back
Top Bottom