What is the least fishy fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tilapia basically has no flavor. If you don't season it well, its rather tasteless and boring.

To me the safest fish to cook is Flounder. It is not fishy at all, has a nice sweet flavor, works well grilled, fried, baked, stuffed. Stuffed Flounder is my favorite way to eat it.

Make up some deviled crab cakes, stuff them into the flounder, bake or grill.. yummy..

The only trout I've ever eaten was hand caught by myself or my family when I was growing up. I've never bought trout from any market. I always considered it fishy in nature so I am very interested in those that say it isn't. Tilapia is definitely lighter than trout. I love trout, don't get me wrong, I just find it fishy.

Farmd and wild Trout are very different tasting. I was a fly fisherman
and only once did I eat the catch (used to return them to the stream)
and it had a stronger flavor than what is available in the fish store.
I had 'wild' Tilapia once in a restaurant and it had a much stronger flavor than farmed. A lot of Chefs think farmed Tilapia is on a par with Tofu
ie: completely tasteless.

Agree that flatfish - sole, flounder, fluke , halibut along
with cod and farmed catfish are less oily thus less fishy than
herring,bluefish, salmon etc.

Alton made fish and chips last night using tilapia and it looked great. I'm going to try that.

yeah, Crappie is the bomb if caught in really cold water. when I was a kid my dad would take our used Christmas trees each year in the boat and pitch them somewhere in the cove with bricks tied to them to weigh them
down. it made a nest for them and they would populate it pretty heavily
by early spring. then he'd sit out there and catch a whole mess of them,
clean them and cook them. we'd have these huge fish-frys with the
Crappie, buttermilk slaw and hush puppies. some of the best memories
of my childhood.

Ah Texasgirl, come on up here to a spring fed lake and taste the rest of the fresh water fish though I love Crappies in the spring too. The area I live in (Wisconsin), especially the Kettle Moraine area, have fresh water lakes, springs everywhere, the fish are great. We even have springs above land here. Fish do so much better in cold lakes. (certain fish) Next time you are in my area, let me know and I'll share. :chef: We'll go fishing, clean 'em up and cook them while they are fresh. It will be a girl's night out. ~Bliss

Aaaaah, Bliss, you are taking me back to my childhood! The Kettle Moraine is where some of the best fish of my life came from, and also where I learned to clean the little suckers! (some not so little! ;))

Whatever the fish, a squeeze of lemon juice takes away the "fishy" taste and just makes it taste sweeter.

I think any fish from cold water tends to be firmer fleshed and less fishy tasting. I'm a real fish-eater, though, so I love it all.

If I were you, I'd go with the cod...you can get nice thick fillets, and it has a good flavor. Tilapia leaves me kind of cold.

Never buy farm-raised seafood unless you are sure it's from the US. That includes catfish, tilapia, salmon, shrimp, etc.

Always ask to smell the fish before you buy it. If it smells fishy don't buy it.

I'd suggest cod or haddock.

Aaaaah, Bliss, you are taking me back to my childhood! The Kettle Moraine is where some of the best fish of my life came from, and also where I learned to clean the little suckers! (some not so little! ;))
Chef June, I drive those hilly winding roads everyday through the Kettle Moraine from home to work.......it's a beautiful area. You can come with us on the girls night out! :chef:

yeah, Crappie is the bomb if caught in really cold water. when I was a kid my dad would take our used Christmas trees each year in the boat and pitch them somewhere in the cove with bricks tied to them to weigh them
down. it made a nest for them and they would populate it pretty heavily
by early spring. then he'd sit out there and catch a whole mess of them,
clean them and cook them. we'd have these huge fish-frys with the
Crappie, buttermilk slaw and hush puppies. some of the best memories
of my childhood.

I agree... NOTHING beats fresh Crappie caught while ice fishing!!

Smallmouth Bass is a very mild fish, as are perch, whitefish, pollock, orange roughy, smelt, and several others. Trout can be strong, depending on the size and species, and whether or not it is farmed or wild. Wild trout have a pronounced flavor, but if 12 inches or smaller, don't have that cod-liver-oil flavor common to the salmonid family when they get large. Also, preperation is a big thing. Most large fish, i.e. tuna, salmon, lake trout, mackeral, etc, have very oily flesh under the dorsal fin. The bellies contain a fair amount of the same fatty flesh. This oily flesh needs to be cut away before the fish is cooked.

As with most foods, there is no real, pat answer to your question. You just need to try different fish varieties and find out what you like and don't like, along with proper preperation of the fish type.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Since I claim to not eat sea food, the only fish I will eat outside of canned Salomon and vacuumed sealed tuna. I like Haddock. It is a firm white fish with not a strong "fishy" taste. It is a northern fish and used to be cheep, now it has gotten pricey and hard to find here in southern Maryland, even frozen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom