What sauce goes with halibut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Solstice.

If you have fresh Halibut coming in from B.C. or Alaska right now, You don't need any sauce and if you want some; the lightest thing you can get. Maybe a really light herb butter or some such but really fresh Halibut is so good, any sauce seems too much.

Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees F
Flood with Sour cream and a add dill to taste give it another 20 min.

You may need to alter the time based on the thickness of the filet. Mine was pretty big. My brother in law wis a commercial fisherman and he brought us a doozy.

AC

I really like fresh marjoram. not as big a fan if it's dried, just fresh. :)

ooh, another good one. i've heard that marjoram has been likened to oregano, but is lighter.

i don't think i've ever had fresh. i'll have to keep an eye out for it. thanks june. :chef:

Try this recipe. I think you'll like it... It's very good.

1. Melt butter on a pan with minced garlic
2. Turn the heat off and pour teriyaki sauce and fresh lemon squeeze, ginger powder
3. Marinate your fresh halibut with the sauce for 1-2 hours in fridge
4. Pan fry it (2-3 minutes on each side) in med-high heat until nice and golden.
5. Sprinkle sesame seeds on your fish.
6. Heat up the leftover marinade and use that as additional sauce to pour little bit on the bottom of your dish.

I know this is really "old school", but I think a good Hollandaise sauce works very well with most fish. It already has a lemony flavor that complements the fish without being overpowering.

My favorites for Halibut, or any mild white-fleshed fish for that matter, are either a light "piccata" type (butter, lemon juice, white wine, capers), or lightly spread with mayonnaise & sprinkled with fresh herbs before baking or broiling.

However, I always keep a few packets of Knorr sauce mixes on hand (Hollaindaise, Bearnaise, Newburg) to use in a pinch, & as a change, as well.

We started doing a Halibut dish at work a few weeks ago that the membership just can't get enough of.

I season halibut fillets with salt and pepper. Pan sear, and when I flip, I add some diced shrimp to the pan. This goes into the salamander for about 5 minutes. When the fish is done, I remove the fish from the pan, and place it on top of some rissotto. I deglaze the pan with a little white wine, then add a sauce made of equal parts cream and homemade shrimp stock, with a little lobster base added. When this sauce comes to a boil, I pour it into the bowl with the rissotto, so that the sauce surrounds the rice and the fish appears to float on top of the sauce.

Learn from my mistakes.
Don't put a white sauce on a white halibut, steam cauliflower, mashed potatoes, on a white plate, it's just not eye appealing!

Grapefruit Sauce

I love Halibut, and now I grill it -whether steak or filet. :chef: I don't put sauce on, maybe squeeze a lemon over the top & tiny pinch of salt.

However, I had monkfish w/ grapefruit sauce at at local restuarant a couple of months back & it blew me away. It wasn't smothered in it & hardly enough to sop up w/ the rice. I've been intrigued w/ it ever since. I've found some recipes online for sauce but nothing seems to fit what I had w/ the monkfish.

If anyone has an idea with Grapefruit I would certainly welcome it.:)

Salsa verde. Tomatillos, green onion, garlic, cilantro, lemon or lime juice (I lean toward lime), and a serrano chili (or not). Blend until nearly homogenized. No cooking necessary. Sauce on plate, grilled halibut on sauce, garnish with fresh cilantro sprig. Easily turns into killer fish tacos with shredded lettuce or green cabbage, diced tomato and warm corn tortillas. A nice side of Corona. Summer in Baja.

Back
Top Bottom