"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-19-2005, 08:36 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

You could use some of them to make a mousse. Delicious if you can find a good recipe (sorry, don't have one).

Allen, some of those recipes are mouth-watering to read. I think I'll try the bacon and sage recipe with some arctic char I have in the freezer.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #12
Executive Chef

HA
Have a look at this site, it appears to have a few recipes, and the scone one looks good!
http://www.britishtrout.co.uk/Recipe...r%20Scones.htm

Old 11-27-2005, 11:28 AM   #13
Master Chef

I know this won't help you with your current problem, and that this thread was started a while ago, but it can help you if you enjoy fishing, or if you give the info to the fishermen who give you trout (by the way, I wish I were in your shoes and someone gave me a mess of torut).

My father taught me this when I was quite young. He was the best fishermen I've ever known and always had trout on hand, year round. After the freshly caught fish were brought home, he immediately cleaned them, placed them into a milk carton (they were the wax-coated paper cartons that were so common before the plastic container we now use) filled with water. He then placed them in the deep freezer until they were needed. When thawed, these fish were as good as the freshly caught trout that we ate during trout season.

The water isolates them from oxygen, and any other odors that might be present in the freezer. They can't get freezer burn either and stay good for literally years. If you have to freeze fish, this is the way to do it. You now have to find a different container than the paper milk cartons from yesteryear, but it can still be done. Myself, I just enlarge the opening of the plastic milk jug and use that. It's not as elegant a sollution, and they don't stack as well, but it works.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:18 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

If there's any left, please send me some. They are my favorite fish - so clean tasting.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:52 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

I’m stunned no one has mentioned the classic Trout Almandine. The combination of trout, lemon, toasted almonds, and browned butter is pure heaven. The recipe I use is from Cordon Blue at Home, but I’m sure a Google search will reveal the simple recipe. The amount of butter I use kind of freaks out my wife, but she always cleans her plate. This is one of the first things I made that I felt was superior to many restaurants.

As a rabid fly fisherman and cook, I can’t decide what makes me more jealous, the act of catching the trout or having them in the fridge. For the record I wouldn’t freeze any of them. To me a good day on the river translates to a fish dinner with about 10 or 15 friends. I provide the food they provide the beer and everyone is happy.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:52 PM   #16
Senior Cook

No problemo amigo! We caught a bunch in Pennsylvania one year and took them to a local restarant and had them cleaned and cook them up.
We invited everyone who was around to enjoy with us. I think we fed 40 people and the bill was about 100 bucks!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Background Noise is correct!
Do not freeze fresh caught trout! Too good to put in a pan like in "trout almandine".

Tags
None