What to do with crawfish tail meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I know I could Google for recipes, but I'd rather ask my educated Buddy's here for ideas and/or advice.
I bought a new frozen item in the local grocery....."Boudreaux's Crawfish tail meat, fully cooked, peeled & deveined, wild caught, 8oz". It was sure not a budget friendly item, so I don't want to mess up. Being on the left coast, I have no experience at all with this.
Thanks in advance.....
;)

I would make a light cream sauce and put the whole thing over pasta.

Or, you could saute onions and etc. in olive oil and then toss the crawfish tails in with the veggies and serve it over rice.

Whatever you do, don't cook it very long. Like shrimp and scallops, they can turn rubbery with even a smidge too much heat.

I use crawfish tails in crawfish salad. Substitute for shrimp or crab. The crawfish I buy is precooked, so no cooking necessary.

Thanks so much, June, Constance, Jim, and GF....

Constance, I'm going with Perry's recipe for Etoufee......I've often wanted to taste that, and I'm always glad to have a trusted recipe. I'll put the crawfish meat in the last thing, as it's already cooked.
When I buy it again, I'll try the rest of the suggestions.....again, thank you.:chef:

i'm with june on this one.

a local restaurant serves a dish called pasta le'ruth's. it's sort of a lightly spicy linguini alfredo with crawfish tails mixed in, topped with chopped scallions. yummm!

Cubed blackened(or bronzed) chicken, andoullie(or Chorizo), julienne of peppers, red onion, dglaze with white wine, add some cajun spice, heavy cream, splash of Worcestershire, reduce, finish w/ Parmesan, a little bit of lemon juice, crawfish tails and a hearty(big) pasta like a penne, or riggatoni.

Take softened butter, add chopped parsley, roasted garlic, grated parm, crawfish tails and a little bit of liquid smoke for a nice compound butter. Re-form and keep in the freezer to put on top of steaks or fish, even chicken or pork.

Make Manhattan Clam Chowder, but sub out the tails and add some crushed red pepper for some kick.

Crayfish tail meat

Hello, This is my first post.

When my cousin and I were between 12 and 16, we use to go on hiking day trips. One small river we visited often was full of crayfish. We'd hand catch them until we got about a gallon of tails. In a small pot we kept hanging there in a tree, we'd cover the tails in water, and boil till the turned red. We'd shell the tails into a skillet. Them sauté in butter with salt and pepper. They were the best!

Kayelle, I grew up on the left coast. We vacationed at Lake Tahoe. My parents met some other Swedes. They had caught a bunch of crayfish in Lake Tahoe and they shared with us. They were served, Swedish style, like small lobsters with melted butter for dipping. Yum.

I realize this is kind of an old post, but...

One of the very first dishes I ever cooked for my current wife when we were first dating was baked pasta shells with crawfish and a gruyere cream sauce. Elegant, unusual, and tasty. Don't let naysayers ever tell you that cheese and fish don't go together. It was awesome, and the woman ended up marrying me. So there! :LOL:

Crawfish Pie! Just Google "Crawfish Pie Recipes". There are quite a few recipes. I'd go for one with 5 stars.

We make a rustic pizza that uses precooked crawfish tails. They have to be spicy from a boil and good soak to taste right. If you buy frozen tails, make sure they come from Breaux Bridge, LA. The crap that comes from Asia is just sickening and stinks right out of the package.

For extra zing, sprinkle some Tony C's creole seasoning on before use.

Last edited:
Sometimes at Costco they have Langastinos at a very reasonable cost.
I bought a big bag once, cooked and cleaned ready to go.

Get home and cannot think of any way to prepare them. I think I ended up lightly tossing in hot EVOO and fresh garlic and adding a cup or so of marinara.
Then over some linguine.

I was not impressed. Probably would not buy them again unless I had a solid plan.

I have only had langoustines in restaurants - butterflied and broiled or grilled and cover in garlic butter.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Funny, I always thought langostinos and crawfish were the same, the names used interchangeably. I need to research out of curiousity, as I think I'm very wrong. :ermm: :)

Last edited:
Funny, I always thought langostinos and crawfish were the same, the names used interchangeably. I need to research out of curiousity, as I think I'm very wrong. :ermm: :)

Well, they both look a bit like little lobsters. ;)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Your confusion is understandable. This is a clip from Wiki. "In Spain, it means some species of prawns. In Cuba and other Spanish-speaking Caribbean islands, the name langostino is also used to refer to crayfish."

Langostino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess we can conclude it's some kind of small crab/lobster/crustacean.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom