What to do with Farm Crabs.....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moondog

Assistant Cook
Well, I went back to that Thai grocery store and bought a package of these tiny farm crabs. There are maybe 20 of them in the package. What should I do with them???

How tiny & what variety of crab? Thailand raises/farms both "Blue Swimmer" crab (basically our eastern U.S. "Blue Claw" crab), & "Mud Crab" - both of which are usually sold & eaten as adults.

How tiny & what variety of crab? Thailand raises/farms both "Blue Swimmer" crab (basically our eastern U.S. "Blue Claw" crab), & "Mud Crab" - both of which are usually sold & eaten as adults.
Well, the package only says "Farm crab." Well, the body without the legs is maybe about 2 inches wide. They are somewhat dark in colour. Almost a brown with a hint of red.

Sounds like Mud Crab. But boy - what a tiny size! All the recipes I've seen for Mud Crab are for the larger adult crabs - nothing for anything that small.

My only advice might be sauce. Way back when I was a little sprout & used to go crabbing with my family, & before there were size limits on Blue-Claw Crabs, while we only kept the large ones, Italian folks kept everything, regardless of size. My dad once asked one of these gentlemen what he did with those teeny-tiny Blue Claws & he said they just tossed them whole into Marinara sauce & let them simmer for a long while, then fished them out & tossed them.

Unless they're soft-shelled & can be eaten whole, I really can't think of any other way to use them.

Back
Top Bottom