"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Indeed!
Cooked shrimp do not have to become rubbery if they are cooked properly. If you do not overcook them, it doesn't matter if you refrigerate them after. Like I said before, cook until just starting to turn pink. Remove from heat, cover and let residual heat finish the cooking. They will never be rubbery. Sounds simple because it is. You just can't walk away while they are cooking.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Cooked shrimp do not have to become rubbery if they are cooked properly. If you do not overcook them, it doesn't matter if you refrigerate them after. Like I said before, cook until just starting to turn pink. Remove from heat, cover and let residual heat finish the cooking. They will never be rubbery. Sounds simple because it is. You just can't walk away while they are cooking.
Addie, we were just commenting about how easy it is to cook Pad Thai. Even I can make a decent one!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:58 AM   #33
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Cooked shrimp do not have to become rubbery if they are cooked properly. If you do not overcook them, it doesn't matter if you refrigerate them after....
The problem isn't cooking raw shrimp right. It's buying the wrong bag and picking up pre-cooked shrimp. If you put pre-cooked shrimp into food you're cooking it can mess up their texture. The problem started with the OP's husband doing the shopping...
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #34
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
The problem isn't cooking raw shrimp right. It's buying the wrong bag and picking up pre-cooked shrimp. If you put pre-cooked shrimp into food you're cooking it can mess up their texture. The problem started with the OP's husband doing the shopping...
I'm not sure really if my mom made her shrimp gumbo with uncooked or cooked. She spent some time on the sauce tho. I would like to think she put in uncooked and took into account what you point out, or...she used cooked shrimp and put it in towards the end of doing the sauce and other ingredients.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Addie, we were just commenting about how easy it is to cook Pad Thai. Even I can make a decent one!
I am not sure what Pad Thai even is. Does it have peanuts in it? Or peanut butter? I had a dish of noodles once that had peanut butter in it and it was horrible. That is one dish I never finished.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
I have heard of it but never had it
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #37
Head Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I agree. I try to get only US wild caught (usually Gulf) shrimp. Wild caught Mexican shrimp that are local when we're in Mexico are good too. I'm turned off by fish or seafood that are farm-raised, don't eat tilapia anymore either after I'd researched them.
I'm with you on that Dawg, I would never eat Tiapia as 80 % come from the dirty waters of Asia.
__________________
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I'm with you on that Dawg, I would never eat Tiapia as 80 % come from the dirty waters of Asia.
+1

Some tilapia comes from Europe and is considered safer. I still don't eat it because I don't care for it.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I am not sure what Pad Thai even is. Does it have peanuts in it? Or peanut butter? I had a dish of noodles once that had peanut butter in it and it was horrible. That is one dish I never finished.
Sesame noodles often have peanut butter in them. Pad Thai is topped with ground peanuts but it doesn't include peanut butter.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Catfish is a bottom dweller and eat their own feces.
Ah, no, they don't. They eat smaller bottom dwellers and algae, etc., that falls from above. No animal could survive by eating its waste - there are no nutrients left it could absorb.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.